Trying to make this sound as least gay as possible - does anyone else notice trends when it comes to fans and football?

Why is it that on a normal day about the town , you see middle aged men wearing all sorts of brands etc ...

then as soon as you start the walk to a football game EVERY second supporter has some sort of Stone island jumper, henry lloyd jacket, aquascutum fleece or a branded garment which people would associate with football hooligans?

Just a random question i thought i would put out there - just something i've noticed a lot more of since the release of films like green st/ football factory.

Do people buy these shitey, overpriced pieces of clothing just to wear to the football?

I mean its not as if you ever see people cutting about clubs wearing a stone island jumper?

Trying to make this sound as least gay as possible - does anyone else notice trends when it comes to fans and football?

Why is it that on a normal day about the town , you see middle aged men wearing all sorts of brands etc ...

then as soon as you start the walk to a football game EVERY second supporter has some sort of Stone island jumper, henry lloyd jacket, aquascutum fleece or a branded garment which people would associate with football hooligans?

Just a random question i thought i would put out there - just something i've noticed a lot more of since the release of films like green st/ football factory.

Do people buy these shitey, overpriced pieces of clothing just to wear to the football?

I mean its not as if you ever see people cutting about clubs wearing a stone island jumper?

One .

They are not shitey , they are fashionable

Two .

I wear stone island derms etc all the tme , out in clubs etc.

So dont know where you got that one from

Rino i think you are totally right!

You do sound gay.;)

yeah you are def right. Stone Island is notourious with football hooligans like the Headhunters, its like uniform. Watched a programme about hooligans once and the Metropolitan police often watch CCTV footage and pick out those wearing Stone Island

Oh and its NOT fashionable

Fashion and football have ALWAYS been linked, especially since the ââ?¬Ë?skinheadââ?¬â?¢ craze in the late 60ââ?¬â?¢s early 70ââ?¬â?¢s. Read any book about football culture and there is always sections on the ââ?¬Ë?fashion wearââ?¬â?¢ for any particular era. This has developed since the ââ?¬Ë?casualââ?¬â?¢ scene erupted.

As for Stone Island, Aquascutum, Paul & Shark gear etc being over-priced shit, you obviously havenââ?¬â?¢t bought / wore any of these clothes. They are fashionable, hard wearing and admittedly a uniform. But, any clothing can be called a ââ?¬Ë?uniformââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? 40,000 people wearing a Rangers top of a Saturday is ââ?¬Ë?uniformââ?¬â?¢ just like people wearing ââ?¬Ë?branded gearââ?¬â?¢.

Cammy F - Paul & Shark Loyal RSC :)

Dunn you are a wee hooligan though so it's only natural you wear Stone Island gear.

I've never owned any of the brands Rino mentioned due to the fact that 1) I think they're stuff looks awful when I see it in a shop and 2) I relate it to football hooligans.

I'm not usually in the town on a matchday so I can't comment on the thousands of people wearing the branded gear.

Gazza, I have worn 'branded clothing' to the football since getting involved in the 'rave scene' in the late 80's. Does this equate me to a 'hooligan'?

When I first started going to the football, the hooligan element wore denim jackets, jeans, scarves and Doc Martins, as did 90% of the people who went to the football. That is the reason that the 'casuals' looked for a new look, so they could 'stand out' and be 'noticed'.

As fans / people have gotten better jobs which pay better money, they have started buying and wearing 'designer gear'. I don't think the majority do this to look like a casual or hooligan, they do it because its fashionable.

As said above, thro the era's (skinheads, mods, punks, new romantic, rave, casuals) football and fashion have been linked and they will continue to be linked as both evolve.

Cammy F

Gazza, I have worn 'branded clothing' to the football since getting involved in the 'rave scene' in the late 80's. Does this equate me to a 'hooligan'?

Cammy F

Of course not everyone who wears branded clothes like Henry Lloyd, Stone Island etc are hooligans but the Motherwell fans who live near me wear all that and class themsleves as hooligans.

i dont like stone island gear, generally, either. like gaz, it just reminds me of hooliganism. despite knowing that plenty of people wear it who are not hooligans, it just isn't for me.

in saying that, i'm not sure what kind of clothes i like, its been that long since i bought any. i'm virtually in rags. i just spent all my money on books again :|

Tend to agree with Gav here, going to a game I'd choose to wear the team colours. Not sure of your point Cammy, there may be nothing wrong with wearing branded clothing and most people do (I like Nike stuff personally) but there is obviosly an element that wear this for other reasons.

Unfortunately Dunn doesn't do himself any favours wiith the shite violence posts recently.

Give it a miss FFS and keep your love of pointless violence to yourself.