David Vaughan tempted by Rangers move as club make approach

From STV

Blackpool midfielder David Vaughan has confirmed he had been subject to an approach from Rangers and would be attracted by a move to Ibrox.

Vaughan, 28, featured in the Wales team which lost 3-1 to Scotland on Wednesday night and is available on a free transfer, with his Blackpool contract due to expire shortly.

The player has a number of options on the table before deciding where his future lies but, speaking on Wednesday night, confirmed the Scottish Premier League champions have registered their interest with his agent.

ââ?¬Å?I know my agent has spoke to Rangers,ââ?¬Â Vaughan told STV. ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve just got to take it from there and leave it in his hands.ââ?¬Â

Reports earlier this week linked Vaughan with having signed a three-year deal with Sunderland to keep him in England�s top flight, but the player is yet to decide where his future lies.

A move to Scotland and in particular to Rangers would interest the player though, saying the possibility of playing in Europe next season could also help to sway his decision.

ââ?¬Å?In Scotland, Rangers are a massive club and they play in the Champions League. So it is an attraction.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve just got to weigh up all my options and see where it takes me.ââ?¬Â

Vaughan started his career with Crewe Alexandra, playing 209 times for the club before Chris Coleman signed him for then-Spanish second tier side Real Sociedad.

His European adventure however was over within a year, with Coleman departing in January 2008 and Vaughan returning to England to sign for Blackpool in the summer.

Since then he has gone on to play 119 times for the Seasiders and was an ever-present in Ian Holloway�s team as they narrowly missed out on retaining their place in the English Premier League.

He would be a good bit of business :thup:

Article from the Blackpool Gazette published less than 3 hrs ago...... ;)

Blackpool�s last-gasp offer to Vaughan

Published on Thursday 26 May 2011 13:09

BLACKPOOL are poised to offer David Vaughan a lucrative deal in a last-ditch attempt to persuade the midfielder to stay at Bloomfield Road.

Reports that Vaughan has already signed a three-year contract at Sunderland are wide of the mark.

The Welshman has yet to decide where his future lies, and that�s why the Seasiders are hopeful that one last effort could change Vaughan�s mind.

The Gazette understands an improved offer will be put on the table within days.

Even so, Pool know they face an uphill battle to keep Vaughan.

He has plenty of options, with Glasgow Rangers, West Brom and Everton all monitoring the situation, along with Sunderland, and Stoke the latest club to be linked with the 28-year-old.

All those clubs can offer top-flight football and Vaughan is unlikely to want to drop back down to the Championship whatever Pool offer.

Speaking to The Gazette this week, when he lifted three player of the year prizes at the clubââ?¬â?¢s awards night, Vaughan said: ââ?¬Å?These last two years at Bloomfield Road have been great and probably the best years of my career, so hopefully wherever I may be next year ââ?¬â?? if itââ?¬â?¢s Blackpool or not ââ?¬â?? I can keep my form going.

ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t know what the future holds just yet but if I do go somewhere else I will take away nothing but happy memories.ââ?¬Â

Pool will also make renewed attempts to persuade left-back Stephen Crainey to stay at Bloomfield Road.

The Scot is also a free agent but is settled with his family on the Fylde coast and may be tempted to sign a new deal if the Seasiders can make a suitable offer.

Of the out-of-contract players, Matt Gilks seems the least likeliest to stay. The keeper has been outspoken in criticising the way the club is run and seems to have made up his mind that his future lies elsewhere.

David Carney and Malaury Martin are the biggest surprises on the Seasiders released list.

The club officially announced yesterday which players won�t be offered new contracts.

Most were already known, with Richard Kingson, Paul Rachubka, Marlon Harewood and Rob Edwards among the 11 players released.

The departure of the Australian left-back Carney, signed from FC Twente last September and unfortunate to suffer a season-ending shoulder injury just when it seemed he might break into the first-choice side, was not expected.

Carney talked last week about his hopes for next season and said he was looking forward to helping Pool try to bounce back.

Martin�s signing may go down as one of the worst in the club�s history.

The Frenchman was brought in last summer but required knee surgery before he had even played a game.

He returned for the last few weeks of the campaign and played in the reserves but manager Ian Holloway has deemed him not good enough.

I would assume that any of the mentioned EPL teams can offer him higher wages than we do (and you have to keep in mind that his agent does the talking, and these may not have football brains driving them). The good thing is that neither of these teams can hope to offer him more silverware/prestige/fame than the odd Carling or the FA Cup for years ahead. Not so with us, Fortune permitting.

I would assume that any of the mentioned EPL teams can offer him higher wages than we do (and you have to keep in mind that his agent does the talking, and these may not have football brains driving them). The good thing is that neither of these teams can hope to offer him more silverware/prestige/fame than the odd Carling or the FA Cup for years ahead. Not so with us, Fortune permitting.

Money should be more important than Medals for players

I've heard he's beyond keen to come to us. I don't know much about him other than he seems to be on the fringes of the Wales team, and looks a bit odd. Is he actually any good?