ALLY McCOIST has told Ibrox owner Craig Whyte to make Dundee United star David Goodwillie his summer signing priority.

SunSport can reveal the Rangers boss returned from his Argentinian spying trip more determined than ever to nab 22-year-old Scotland striker Goodie.

McCoist saw 10 top Argentinian teams in action as he tried to unearth a hidden gem that would fit into his strict signing budget.

Reports he was ready to swoop for Paraguayan winger Marcelo Estigarribia of Newell's Old Boys are well wide of the mark.

Instead McCoist will now await the outcome of the rape charge that has hung over Scotland's Young Player of the Year Goodwillie since January.

It is understood that the striker has privately told friends he'd jump at the chance to fight for the right to partner Gers star Nikica Jelavic.

McCoist left Argentina most impressed by 29-year-old Arsenal de Sarandi ace Ivan Obolo.

The striker, on the fringes of the international team throughout his career, has left his homeland before to star for Piacenza in Italy and Burgos in Spain.

He was also a massive hit in Sweden where he shone for Celtic No2 Johan Mjallby's club AIK Stockholm and won the league and cup before moving home.

Obolo is the player McCoist identified as the pick of what he saw but at 29 and with possible work permit problems I understand any swoop for the gifted frontman has now been ruled out.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3633215/Forget-Argies-I-want-Goodie.html#ixzz1P8Wmuc4v

So long as we keep our current players and add Hemed, Goodwillie, Dann, Weiss and Bartley then we would be in decent shape for the season.

Obviously the defence is where the uncertainty is, with Bougherra possibly leaving and Weir not confirmed his future. If we were to get Cuellar then thats massive.

Starting to get interesting.

So long as we keep our current players and add Hemed, Goodwillie, Dann, Weiss and Bartley then we would be in decent shape for the season.

Obviously the defence is where the uncertainty is, with Bougherra possibly leaving and Weir not confirmed his future. If we were to get Cuellar then thats massive.

Starting to get interesting.

Is Weiss not going to Italy,Udinese I think I read somewhere???

I would say we need 4 strikers. Beattie doesn't cut it. That leaves Lafferty and Jelavic. Obviously Naismith can play up there but has played well just off the strikers. I would say we need another winger so that might include an Argentinian...

Part exchange for Alexis Sanchez I read.

Barca also are trying to get Sanchez and using Bojan as a part exchange. Man Utd are chasing too.

I guess it depends on who ponies up the most cash as to where he will go.