Arsenal ready �£12m bid for proven stopper

Allan McGregor has emerged as Arsenals top transfer target despite Rangers insisting that the goalkeeper is not for sale.

Watching Switzerland U21 v Czech Republic U21? Check in with fanatix

Switzerland U21 v Czech Republic U21 live streaming

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is in the market for an experienced keeper, and sees the Scotland number one as the ideal solution to his problem position.

The Frenchmans repeated failure to buy an assured stopper has partly contributed to the clubs six-year trophy drought, with Manuel Almunia and Wojciech Szczesny less than convincing between the sticks.

Wenger is now prepared to test Rangers owner Craig Whytes resolve with a 12million bid for the 29-year-old.

New Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is also said to be interested in McGregor, and could offer his old club Carlos Cuellar as part of a deal.

But Whyte told the Daily Record: "I've said that McGregor is not for sale. We haven't been approached by anyone about him so far.

"As far as Cuellar is concerned we have made a formal offer. We are actively discussing it."

Whyte confirmed his intention to bolster the squad, adding: "We would like to get some signings in as soon as possible but don't want to bring in the wrong players.

http://www.fanatix.com/arsenal-ready-12m-bid-for-proven-stopper/

If true I would accept the 12 mill bid but only IF the money were then to be used to supplement the squad.

Alexander is an able replacement for McGregor - and 12 mill to bolster the squad would be HUGE in my opinion. Similar to accepting the cash for Cuellar a couple of years ago, that enabled us to get Mendes, Davis, Edu - and without them we may not have won the league.

I would prefer to keep McGregor as he is a match winner - but we could make the necessary additions to the squad with that sort of money.

Apart from the source, clubs have been queuing up and falling over themselves to watch and bid for mcgregor for years now without (apparently) a single bid coming in for him. I won't be holding my breath.

FWIW if a great offer came in for him (12M seems like the stuff of fantasists though) I think we should consider it if the money will be used to strengthen the team. McGregor is obviously worth points to us, but with a new centre half and Alexander, I don't think we'd be any worse off without him.

If someone offers �£12m and we accept it I hope we've got the common sense to demand the money up front in full. None of this payment in installments over 3 years crap!

This is the kind of bid I feared - one which actually matches his real value.

You can buy a lot of players with �£12M, but McGregor is worth his weight in gold and personally despite the amount, I'd rather keep him.

He wants to stay, so if this story is true, and Wenger bids 12M for him, it really is up to the owner.

Personally I'd Like to see him stay with us for remainder of his career

However I fear a bid of that scale would be accepted and McGregor told it is in his and clubs best interests to go.

as much as I like Alexander I feel more confident with McGregor in goals even though Alexander has never really let us down.