Whittaker signs new 5 year deal - Official

Whilst this is true he is also, defensively, a nightmare. His defensive positional sense is often horrible. Is a potential match winner, who also is very prone to defensive mistakes, worth 20k a week ?

Personally, I'm not sure. I don't think Messi is worth 20k a week. Whether his worth it, from the perspective of Ally McCoist and the club, depends on how much we can afford and whether we think we can get a better player. Also, we are all working with figures that are largely paper talk. Don't get me wrong, if a player doesn't want to stay and starts holding the club to ransom they can GTF. All I'm saying is that there's a circus surrounding negotiations of contracts (remember Fleck?) that's all just a game that is best to let play out and form conclusions at the end.

I have no anger or sympathy towards any of our players - their careers are short and often will chase the highest money, that is just how the industry works. But still we all are, obviously, entitled to our opinion on the merits and demerits of our players.

I don't think I implied otherwise.

Which is exactly the quandary we find ourselves in.

Or are you advocating paying 20k a week to a player like Whittaker ? Because if you are then we will very rapidly be on the slippery road to oblivion again - if Whittaker gets 20k a week then how long will it be before Davis, Jelavic, Naismith etc etc (the players who were undoubtedly BETTER than Whittaker last season) ask for parity ?

Also, are you suggesting that the Championship is the only place we should be looking for players ? Our scouts should be scouring the WORLD for good players who would play for us for a reasonable wage.... or are we going to just admit right now that Celtic do a better job at this than us. You can guarantee that Izaguirre isnt on 20k a week - and he is as good as Whittaker, probably better.

There ARE players out there who would play for us for far less than 20k a week and they dont need to be playing in the UK, where wages are very inflated.

I am not saying we should be looking at the Championship , I am saying that they can get more money in the championship , as for the Celtic players , I think you will find they are all in looking for better contracts or they are offski , including Kayal , foreign players have no loyalty , they simply down tools , and what you are left with is constantly rebuilding squad after squad year after year .

Just as an extra , the �£20 grand a week was not a net �£20 grand , there were bonuses and various other things built into it , we are far too quick to grasp headline figures in papers and run with them

we are far too quick to grasp headline figures in papers and run with them

And in doing so we do nothing but strengthen someone or other's hands as the part they're inviting us to play in negotations that are frankly none of our concern. Leave them to it, I say.

Personally, I'm not sure. I don't think Messi is worth 20k a week. Whether his worth it, from the perspective of Ally McCoist and the club, depends on how much we can afford and whether we think we can get a better player. Also, we are all working with figures that are largely paper talk. Don't get me wrong, if a player doesn't want to stay and starts holding the club to ransom they can GTF. All I'm saying is that there's a circus surrounding negotiations of contracts (remember Fleck?) that's all just a game that is best to let play out and form conclusions at the end.

I don't think I implied otherwise.

I dont think you implied it either Barry, was just stating my own personal feeling on whether to show players anger or sympathy.

Messi IS worth 20k a week though. And nothing to do with footballing ability. You can guarantee that he pulls in more than that for Barcelona by way of merchandising so he is worth 20k a week on that alone.

Fair point re the speculation on contracts. None of us truly know what is going on and we have had egg on our faces before with players who appear to be pissing us about, we get angry, they sign a new deal, we fall in love with them again....

I am not saying we should be looking at the Championship , I am saying that they can get more money in the championship , as for the Celtic players , I think you will find they are all in looking for better contracts or they are offski , including Kayal , foreign players have no loyalty , they simply down tools , and what you are left with is constantly rebuilding squad after squad year after year .

Just as an extra , the �£20 grand a week was not a net �£20 grand , there were bonuses and various other things built into it , we are far too quick to grasp headline figures in papers and run with them

But for those Celtic players they were getting maybe 7k a week when they first arrived. Celtic got a season out of them. Kayal & Izaguirre are very decent players. So players CAN be had for less than 20k a week.

And when they play their first season, do well, ask for an increase... the club can give them a reasonable hike (which is what we are trying to do with Whittaker) and if that hike isnt enough then you can sell them on at a pretty reasonable profit.

BTW, it isnt just foreigners who have no loyalty.

As for the Whittaker offer, it doesnt really matter what the add-ons, bonuses etc are - his total package would have been 20k, right ? And it would have meant him being the 2nd highest paid player at the club, right ? If so then other players will probably be hammering the manager's door looking for parity.

But for those Celtic players they were getting maybe 7k a week when they first arrived. Celtic got a season out of them. Kayal & Izaguirre are very decent players. So players CAN be had for less than 20k a week.

And when they play their first season, do well, ask for an increase... the club can give them a reasonable hike (which is what we are trying to do with Whittaker) and if that hike isnt enough then you can sell them on at a pretty reasonable profit.

BTW, it isnt just foreigners who have no loyalty.

As for the Whittaker offer, it doesnt really matter what the add-ons, bonuses etc are - his total package would have been 20k, right ? And it would have meant him being the 2nd highest paid player at the club, right ? If so then other players will probably be hammering the manager's door looking for parity.

They are asking for more than what Whittaker is wanting though , also you cant keep nmoving players on every season , and also keep winning at the same time

They are asking for more than what Whittaker is wanting though , also you cant keep nmoving players on every season , and also keep winning at the same time

Then when you initially sign them you should have them on a 4 yr contract - that way you dont HAVE to sell them, not for at least 2 yrs anyway !!

Then when you initially sign them you should have them on a 4 yr contract - that way you dont HAVE to sell them, not for at least 2 yrs anyway !!

Just like they can always throw their dummies oot the pram and cause trouble , unhappy players always cause trouble