Whittaker signs new 5 year deal - Official

No one knows what he is on currently exactly,

True, but it does sound as though he's been on quite low wages for a key player in our squad who's played in nearly 180 games in the past 4 seasons. I don't have a problem with him being paid �£7k or whatever it was initially, say for the first couple of seasons, but he should really have been given an improved contract sometime during his 3rd season here, so that would have been the season before last (our season going for 2IAR).

the truth is he is no more important to us than Papac,

I disagree with this because I think even if you ignore the age Papac has reached, Whittaker has more to offer.

yet Papac happily accepted what seems a modest wage rise and contract extension, while Whittaker expects to be paid in line with our best players?

This to me is where his age and circumstances can't be ignored because Papac is now 31. He's 4 years older than Whittaker and that has to be taken into account along with the fact that he doesn't play international football.

What exactly justifies Whittaker in holding the club to ransom in the way Papac didn't? Oh, I know, Bursaspor waving filthy lucre in his face, that's what.

Who says Whittaker is really holding the club to ransom though? The mhedia? .... Scottish press in turning Rangers fans against their own player shocker! facepalm.gif

I wouldn't blame him if some EPL team came in for him and gave him a chance to have a crack at a lucrative league, much in the way Edu may. But to want to leave purely on a money basis and to practically insult and be hostile to Rangers in the process through his agent has left a sour taste in the mouth.

My previous comment applies; Scottish press in turning Rangers fans against their own player shocker! facepalm.gif

I do not understand Ally's loyalty to him, and high opinion of him. Yes, he's versatile, but he's not especially great in any of his positions. He is certainly worth no more than �£10k a week imo.

Personally, I think in a successful Rangers team where a good few guys are earning around �£15k p/w or more, Whittaker deserves to be getting paid more than �£10k.

�£20k+ is just a waste of money for what we're getting.

Have to agree with that. We could probably do better for those sort wages. Then again, there's no guarantee that we'll be able to sign a player who'd be better. Whittaker is a very good player and a lot of people seem to be undervaluing his contribution in the past few seasons.

I disagree a bit on saying that players will not play well in their last season because their heart is not in it. I think it has been proven in the past with Kenny Miller and Fernando Ricksen to name 2, that players actually play their best football in that period. Yes we will lose out on some as in Kris Boyd but others will still sign a new contract after their old one has ended, and for probably less than what they would have been looking for a season earlier. Unless we get a good fee for Whittaker i would let him run down his contract and walk away for nothing next season. On the business side of things if we can get 1mill plus for him and replace him with the same or better quality then wave him goodbye. Rangers have his contract, not Whittaker and not his agent and Rangers can decide when or if he goes until it expires.

Whittaker and Miller are good mates. I've seen them both out together in Glasgow on two separate occasions and I'm sure the fact is also well documented. Bursa have offered the boy silly money and Kenny's been on the phone like "Aye mate it's brilliant here, you'll your financial future secured, come over and we'll both eat the finest kebabs together" He's for the off and like many have said on here, it's a blessing in disguise. 20 grand a fucking week for Steven Whittaker? Away ye go!

I see the Turkish chancers have said they'll make a final bid for him. Will be interesting to see what happens if they increase their bid to about �£1.5m.

Heh it will be lucky to be over �£1.2m. These "cash-rich" Turks have only up their bids by a few hundred thousand pounds each time.

If he does sign for Bursa I'm pretty confident we'll see him back on British shores come the summer or 2012 and probably regretting leaving us.

If he does go and Miller moves away from Bursa in January 2012 he will want out as well.

Heh it will be lucky to be over �£1.2m. These "cash-rich" Turks have only up their bids by a few hundred thousand pounds each time.

Aye, but they can't be daft enough to say they'll make a final bid and not make it a good one. Can they? :hm: