Guest Dutchy

Yep, getting to that exciting shiting stage. I'd hope for a 2 goal lead to take to Sweden. 2-0 would be better than 3-1 as I wouldn't like them to get an away goal. Either way, a win tonight and we're on track again.

Not that we were off it!!!

LEE WALLACE will make his Rangers debut as he turns out in the Champions League five years after debuting in the competition for Hearts.

The 23-year-old is one of two changes to Ally McCoist's lineup with captain Davie Weir also returning to the side after missing the weekend SPL kick off.

Weir and Wallace replace Kirk Broadfoot and Juanma Ortiz in the starting lineup as McCoist looks to earn his first competitive win as Rangers boss.

Former Hearts man Wallace will line up in a wide left role, which is mirrored on the opposite flank by Steven Whittaker.

Weir slots in between Sasa Papac and Madjid Bougherra in central defence for his first appearance of the new season.

Steven Davis moves in to the middle of midfield, alongside Lee McCulloch and Mo Edu, leaving Steven Naismith to partner Nikica Jelavic in attack.

The match also marks the European debut of Jelavic for Rangers, who was ineligible in continental competition last season for the Light Blues.

Rangers: McGregor; Bougherra, Weir, Papac; Whittaker, Davis, Edu, McCulloch, Wallace; Naismith, Jelavic.

Subs: Alexander, Broadfoot, Healy, Fleck, Hemmings, Wylde, Ortiz.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110726/wallace-set-for-debut_2254024_2402348

So with 5 defenders at the back, it looks like the formation will be using Walter's idea of trying not to lose goals by playing loads of defenders plus a holding midfielder or two for good measure. I guess with the flexibility of Naismith and Whittaker it'll float between different formations depending on the flow of play, but what the article above from the official site suggests is essentially a 5-3-2 like this -

:am:

:sw::mb::dw::sp::lw:

:sd::lm::me:

:sn::nj:

Guest Dutchy
BBC Radio saying we're going with a back 5. :(

I heard that also, but they reckoned that if Malmo were to only play one up front, Wallace has a good chance of moving forward.

Not to mention Bougherra's wanderings up field.