Rangers to appeal 2.8 million tax liability

The charge, which was only identified in the later stages of the process which led to the takeover of Rangers by Craig Whyte in May, was originally declared to be non-negotiable.

Alastair Johnston, who was chairman at Ibrox at the time, said when the charge was discovered in the accounts: ââ?¬Å?It is a cash flow issue someone has to pay for and we donââ?¬â?¢t have it in our budget.

ââ?¬Å?That will have to be worked out but I donââ?¬â?¢t think itââ?¬â?¢s a deal-breaker.ââ?¬Â

In the event, Whyte�s takeover went through but, whoever assumed responsibility for the liability, the matter has resurfaced, along with speculation that HMRC was set to enforce its claim.

Last night a Rangers source said: ââ?¬Å?We have been in discussions with HMRC about the liability inherited from the old regime.

ââ?¬Å?We are planning to appeal and have been assured by HMRC that these negotiations will take their course. However, we are dismayed that there are people at HMRC discussing the clubââ?¬â?¢s business with the media.

ââ?¬Å?We find that conduct astounding while discussions are ongoing with the intention of reaching a settlement.ââ?¬Â

Telegraph Sport understands that negotiations between the club and tax authorities will take place this week.

Should HMRC rescind its charge, Rangers will have gone some way towards easing the financial cost of the failure to reach the group stage of the Champions League, ensured by their defeat by Malmo last week.

However, since the matter relates to a penalty that has been imposed already, the chances are that the bill will have to be paid, in large part, if not in full.

On the field of play, it appears that Steven Whittaker ââ?¬â?? who withdrew from the Scotland squad to face Denmark at Hampden tonight because of a broken toe, sustained in Malmo ââ?¬â?? will be fit to face Inverness Caley Thistle in Saturdayââ?¬â?¢s televised lunchtime fixture from the SPL in the Highlands.

ââ?¬Å?We donââ?¬â?¢t think it is anything too major and we would hope he would be fit for Saturdayââ?¬â?¢s game at Inverness,ââ?¬Â said Ally McCoist, the Rangers manager.

Maurice Edu and Nikica Jelavic withdrew from the US and Croatia squads respectively after sustaining injuries in the weekend friendly against Chelsea but have not been ruled out of the trip to Inverness.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/8691510/Rangers-in-discussions-with-HMRC-over-appealing-2.8-tax-liability.html

“We are planning to appeal and have been assured by HMRC that these negotiations will take their course. However, we are dismayed that there are people at HMRC discussing the club’s business with the media.

“We find that conduct astounding while discussions are ongoing with the intention of reaching a settlement.”

Just look for the guy in hoops.

Anybody else feel the old regime would just roll over and take it up the ass every time someone knocked on the door. Love him or hate him Whyte stands and fights his corner which will do for me.

I think the catalyst for the doubts from some Rangers fans is bourne from frustration. I think we will come good,don't ask me why maybe blind faith,however I do think some of the criticism of CW & Super Ally is way OTT, IMO. CW is new to this game and he is a Rangers fan the very least we can do as fans is to give him time to get his feet under the table,unless some fans would prefer Lloyds to still be running the club?,and as for Super Ally he also get my patience so early in his career as the Rangers manager,I would feel disloyal if I didn't at least give them time to turn the club around. This is the first transfer window for what seems like a decade wher we are actualy trying to sign players as opposed to worrying who we might lose.

Now CW & Ally might just fail,on the other hand they might just succeed,whatever way it pans out I'll be giving them my support and patience and if they do fail then I'll be more sorry for the two of them than be bothered about being slagged by the '' I told you so '' fans.

Well said Ian to many of the so called most loyal fans in the world are way to eager for Ally and Whyte to fall flat on their faces beggars belief.

I for one don't want them to fail, they just haven't started very well.

They would probably be surprised if there wasn't some criticism, the way things have gone.

Then there are the fans who would never be happy, just moaning barstewards.