What is missing and 'my take' on things

Gribz, you're more than onto something.

I've been posting since this regime started that Kenny and Durrant were not adequate coaching staff - indeed, last night seeing Kenny standing there looking like a total clueless fool with his arms hanging by his side staring gormlessly into the abyss was one of the most depressing things I've seen this season.

I advocated Wilkins from the start, and I have no doubt if he'd been approached he'd have jumped at the chance.

I have no complaints about Ally - my only reservation thus far has been his manlove for Whittaker. Otherwise he's doing as well as he can in trying circumstances.

But the team behind him just isn't good enough. It's shite, if I'm honest. Good enough for the utter dirge that is the SPL, which let's face it, is becoming worse with every passing season. But at any level higher, we're out of our depth.

To lose to Maribor was pathetic - add to the inadequate coaching staff the fact that, yes we have about 15 players injured, but the players we have overall are a pretty mediocre squad. We have only 5 good players, Shagger, Naismith, Davis, Jelavic and maybe Wallace. The rest are either utterly inconsistent (Lafferty) or absolutely shite (Edu, Broadfoot).

Add to this our utter uselessness at the moment in front of goal (and I include Jelavic especially in this) and there are a lot of things wrong.

Meh, Scottish football is a joke.

I agree Gribz, Ally need to get himself back down at the touchline, might ruin his voice though, after some of the game his voice sounds bad. Not sure about the shorts scenario though. We do need someone who is coming in from the outside Wilkins would be perfect but again difficult to see him actually wanting to come to be Ally's assistant.

Many factors because of the slump, Scottish coaches could do with going across to some European teams and learning the trade and coming back with that knowledge. Also the fact Scottish players only seem to think in 2 directions Here or England but that is another issue.

I'm not going to start naming names because doing so today just looks like an over-reaction, but IMO there's players in this team Ally's inherited who simply aren't good enough. Yes, we've won 3IAR, but that doesn't automatically mean that all of our players are good enough because it depends on your definition of 'good enough'. Good enough to win the SPL doesn't equate to them all being good football players. We've got a relatively large bunch of young lads who've come from Murray park in our first team squad now and frankly I think a lot of them make a few of our expensive, highly-paid players look distinctly average or worse. What this tells me isn't necessarily that the young guys are all better players (although some of them definitely look like they are); it tells me that the young guys in most cases are giving their ALL, they're giving 100% effort, while some of our other players are definitely NOT giving their all. As well as the actual basic talent in some cases, you can also see clearly visible differences in determination, focus, commitment and discipline from the young lads and to my mind they will also be doing this in training. It's high time that every single one of our more experienced players needs to consistently show why they should be starting ahead of the manager's younger options. Nobody should be exempt from criticism or being dropped just because they've been part of a 3IAR title winning team. Being part of a team winning titles doesn't mean you don't need to maintain your highest possible standards in everything you do for the club.

IMHO, what is criminal is not our training stuff et al, but the simple fact that teams have to face such vital games so early in the season. No matter how people like to turn it, we were essentially in pre-season when we faced Malm�¶. Thus, IMHO the sharpness wasn't there to score these sitters. Somesuch can and did come back to haunt us. Whether other players can help here remains to be seen, as they would equally suffer from this early season form. Obviously, Maribor weren't much farther in their season, but much like in every cup competition, results like that in Slovenia will happen. Have happened before and will happen again. It hardly gives an impression of the state of affairs in Scotland, nor the state of the current champions and league leaders of the SPL.

I reserve my judgement on McCoist till December at the earliest. IMHO ... once we have settled into our rhythm and all the new players have found their feet,we'll get an impression how the "McCoist Regime" will work for our club.

NB: You know why the likes of Roma have bowed out too? Lack of quality? Lack of training methods? More like ... the fact that the Seria A season has not even started by now.

I would say this is a far truer perception than anything to do with our training.

Was Advocaat a good coach? He had the most expensive team in Scottish history and had two disaster seasons. The team sometimes played very well but if we took a comparably expensive and technically gifted team of players today, you would get a hell of a lot more quality even under McCoist.

I can't imagine Advocaat would have achieved much with Walter's squad in the last four years. Maybe he wouldn't have chosen those players but there weren't many alternatives on our budget; however, if he's such a great coach it wouldn't matter.

Advocaat is a very good team builder when he has a lot of money to spend; a couple of years after he builds one, it all goes pear shaped. I don't think it's his coaching skills that win him stuff.

they train for a couple of hours in the morning go to lunch, then a product signing session then home at 1. won the murray park tour and had the distinct pleasure of waiting an hour and 15 mins to catch the players as they made there way home

Was Advocaat a good coach? He had the most expensive team in Scottish history and had two disaster seasons. The team sometimes played very well but if we took a comparably expensive and technically gifted team of players today, you would get a hell of a lot more quality even under McCoist.

He also had 2 excellent seasons and beat, at the time, heavyweight european teams like PSV, Parma and Monaco.

I can't imagine Advocaat would have achieved much with Walter's squad in the last four years. Maybe he wouldn't have chosen those players but there weren't many alternatives on our budget; however, if he's such a great coach it wouldn't matter.

I can imagine Advocaat would've achieved the same as Walter, if not more.

Advocaat is a very good team builder when he has a lot of money to spend; a couple of years after he builds one, it all goes pear shaped. I don't think it's his coaching skills that win him stuff.

It must have something to do with it, no? Bad coaches don't make it to such a high level ie Holland, Rangers and Zenit.

they train for a couple of hours in the morning go to lunch, then a product signing session then home at 1. won the murray park tour and had the distinct pleasure of waiting an hour and 15 mins to catch the players as they made there way home

Was part of the revolt when PLG took over not because they where told to train in the afternoon. Who can they expect to get better with just 2hrs training that two hours should just be fitness work then lunch then back out to work with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by der Berliner View Post

IMHO, what is criminal is not our training stuff et al, but the simple fact that teams have to face such vital games so early in the season. No matter how people like to turn it, we were essentially in pre-season when we faced Malm�¶. Thus, IMHO the sharpness wasn't there to score these sitters. Somesuch can and did come back to haunt us. Whether other players can help here remains to be seen, as they would equally suffer from this early season form. Obviously, Maribor weren't much farther in their season, but much like in every cup competition, results like that in Slovenia will happen. Have happened before and will happen again. It hardly gives an impression of the state of affairs in Scotland, nor the state of the current champions and league leaders of the SPL.

I reserve my judgement on McCoist till December at the earliest. IMHO ... once we have settled into our rhythm and all the new players have found their feet,we'll get an impression how the "McCoist Regime" will work for our club.

NB: You know why the likes of Roma have bowed out too? Lack of quality? Lack of training methods? More like ... the fact that the Seria A season has not even started by now.

I would say this is a far truer perception than anything to do with our training.

Yes let's write to the UEFA and ask if we can only play our games when we are ready. Unbelievable!

Sorry guy's but I totally disagree what you guy's are preaching. Spurs started their season a few weeks after Hearts did but it didn't seem to help Hearts very much. If the players are not fit when the season begins then there is only one person to blame and that is the manager\coach. Lets not forget that the league season was already under way in Scotland when we played Malmo. Do our players not need to be fit for the start of the SPL? Then there is the bad luck slant to things I have been reading. Is it bad luck that Lafferty hit the ball straight at the keeper with his right foot when if he had let it run on to his left foot he would have had an open goal. Is it bad luck that time and time again our players lacked any sort of composure in front of goal. All I can say is that Barcelona are one hell of lucky bastards.