If you sign Juan Manuel Ortiz, you'll struggle.

Ok, first off, I am absolutely not blaming Ortiz for our dismal European displays, but for me he's been a symptom of our failings.

Quite simply we've been atrocious in the transfer market for a long time now.

In order to fix this ailing squad we needed Craig Whyte to put his money where his mouth was, and cough up �£15M for a serious squad injection.

A couple of �£3M players, 3 �£2M players, and a few squad players - and if we were lucky, another top quality �£4M player like Jelavic.

This squad needed more Davises, Naismiths and McGregors. Not more Edus, McCullochs and Broadfoots.

I will admit Wallace seems like a decent signing, but that he's our marquee signing (unless you count Bartley) of the summer shows how little cash we have actually spent (plus we've received �£1.7M for Bougherra).

If you spend half millions all the time, that's the quality of player you'll get. A Sasa Papac. An honest enough player but your team will struggle at higher levels with 5 or more of them in it.

The reason Rangers are struggling in Europe is because our squad is utterly shite at that level - it's decent enough for the SPL where teams outside the OF cannot afford much more than about �£100k on a single player. But try it against a similar level team from another nation and we look like what we are.

We have 4 top players (Davis, Jelavic etc), a few decent-good players (Lafferty, Wallace, maybe Goian), and the rest are average.

Add to that a rookie management team and an owner who doesn't seem to be spending the money we were promised and it's easy to see why, outwith of the backwater piss league that is the SPL, we'll struggle.

I saw Ally has said he cannot see a Scottish side making the CL group stage for some time. Sadly, that looks to be true.

Guest Dutchy

I have to say that I've not been impressed by our transfer activity, even if I am a strong believer in giving youth a chance, we still need strong, established players in the squad and buying them is the quickest way of obtaining them.

How sick then have I been to see Rangers FC having arguments about the odd �£500,000 or so, then end up missing out altogether. I know we shouldn't allow ourselves to be held to ransom, but I'm sure I was hearing that we had a �£5 million per year kitty, top loaded for the first, this season.

You can't tell me that it's all gone on the resigning deals for our top guys?

I have to say that I've not been impressed by our transfer activity, even if I am a strong believer in giving youth a chance, we still need strong, established players in the squad and buying them is the quickest way of obtaining them.

How sick then have I been to see Rangers FC having arguments about the odd �£500,000 or so, then end up missing out altogether. I know we shouldn't allow ourselves to be held to ransom, but I'm sure I was hearing that we had a �£5 million per year kitty, top loaded for the first, this season.

You can't tell me that it's all gone on the resigning deals for our top guys?

True. The Kenny Miller one is the sorest for me, cant help thinking we'd still be in europe had he signed back. Goian looks a decent defender but id be far more looking forward to seeing Cuellar coming back next month had we got him more so than Bocanegra.

True. The Kenny Miller one is the sorest for me, cant help thinking we'd still be in europe had he signed back. Goian looks a decent defender but id be far more looking forward to seeing Cuellar coming back next month had we got him more so than Bocanegra.
Changed my mind on the Cuellar situation. At first I was praying for him to come back but I think he has had a lot of injury problems and he cant get into the Villa team ahead of Collins and Dunne. Eck has said he sees him as good cover - for those two? Sorry to say but he may be past his best now. In which case Goian and Boca looks a good right/left footed combo.

Danny, there's absolutely no chance of Whyte giving Ally serious money to spend now that we're out of Europe and �£15m is living in fantasy land. I would have been extremely surprised if �£10m net had been spent in this transfer window even if we had gotten into the CL group stages. If we had made it into the EL group stages on Thursday night I would have expected maybe another �£3m to be made available to the manager, but as things stand I can't see there being much money at all.

This will be the same guy who actually managed to score in europe , jezz..........

Aye, he's scored as many goals for us in Europe as Kenny Miller did in three seasons of chances in Europe. IE - ONE!! Then again, Charlie Adam scored some important goals for us in Europe, but he's supposedly shite as well......