Argentinian trialist?

Craig whyte said in one of his interviews that it cost 1 million to buy out his contract

Well, if what he said is true, maybe he was counting that miilion quid pay-off as part of his 'investment' in the squad.

I don't think we needed Beattie, but I fail to see the point in paying off a player, when keeping him on the books wouldn't cost any more than the pay-off. That's not logical at all, especially when we're short of strikers.

I thought it would be mutual half or quarter what he was due and not a complete buy out, which £1m seems to be. It also seems like another desperate move along with his signing. £3m total down the tube if you include wages wasted :(.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist says no decision has been taken on trialist Matias Abelairas.

The 26-year-old Argentinian midfielder is a free agent and holds an Italian passport, which means there is no need for the club to seek a work permit.

"He is looking fine," said McCoist. "He played in a close-doors game against Kilmarnock on Tuesday and he did fine.

"He is enjoying training and we are enjoying having him and that's the way we will keep it going at the moment."

Abelairas was previously with River Plate, but pursued the club for unpaid wages after being released.

He scored 11 goals in 89 appearances for the club during his seven years in Buenos Aires.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14856801.stm

Why would the club pay him a million quid to end his contract? :wtf:

Fairly obvious. He has a contract. Club done want him so have to buy him out of contract. Contract woerth, say, 2 mill. Pay him 1 mill - and both sides cut losses.

Open and shut case IMO.

Well, if what he said is true, maybe he was counting that miilion quid pay-off as part of his 'investment' in the squad.

I don't think we needed Beattie, but I fail to see the point in paying off a player, when keeping him on the books wouldn't cost any more than the pay-off. That's not logical at all, especially when we're short of strikers.

But that right there is where your analysis probably ends. Because it is likely that both sides made money. Rangers saved salary. Beattie got to leave a club he was unlikely to play for.

Fairly obvious. He has a contract. Club done want him so have to buy him out of contract. Contract woerth, say, 2 mill. Pay him 1 mill - and both sides cut losses.

Open and shut case IMO.

He had one year left on his contract. Unless we were paying him more than £20k p/w (which I doubt very much) then it wouldn't have cost us any more than a million to keep him surely? Maybe I'm missing something, but paying him a million quid to bugger off seems a bit dim.