On the face of it, there isn't a lot to be worried about as Rangers fans. After all, a cursory look at the SPL table shows us sitting proudly at the top less than six months after winning the title for the 3rd season in a row. Poor European performances aside, surely the Rangers support should have smiles as wide as the Clyde?

Unfortunately the answer is no. While most fans will be enjoying what is happening on the park; off the field we're less confident. Oft-discussed tax 'queries', boardroom reshuffles, legal challenges and confusion over proposed government laws means it isn't easy to find a Rangers supporter who is genuinely certain of the club's competitive future.

Indeed, even when Craig Whyte did finally take over the club there wasn't a great deal of real excitement despite the investment promises he made shortly after. Rightly or wrongly, cynicism was more prevalent - perhaps a remnant of failed promises from the previous regime? Moreover, a lack of demonstrable positive business experiences (and finance) from the new owner, coupled with the old and new tax investigations meant that rather than welcoming Whyte with open arms, many fans were guarded to say the least.

To that end, the relationship between the owner and the support hasn't really improved. Although we've seen Gordon Smith appointed as 'Director of Football' the other names apparently involved are less well known to fans. Ali Russell, Phil Betts and Gary Withey may all stand up to scrutiny if you examine their business CVs but are they Rangers men in the same way people like John Greig, John McLelland and Alistair Johnston could show? Also, why haven't their directorships been announced to PLUS?

Of course, just because someone isn't a Rangers fan per se doesn't mean they won't do a good job in their roles. In fact, it could be argued that having more 'neutral' minds in charge will mean more suitable business strategies. After all, if a self-professed Rangers man like Sir David Murray can run us to the brink of bankruptcy via a string of dubious tax schemes (aided and abetted by those named above) then that perhaps points to the wrong model.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing just where we stand with Whyte. Despite a low key meeting with the Assembly (and another one with the Trust tomorrow) his intentions are no more obvious than they were before he took over. Clearly, as touched on earlier, our European failures this season means finances will be even tighter than usual, so it is worrying that no updated plan of action has been discussed. We can only hope the Trust can ask the questions that matter.

Can we really expect any positive outcome though? Without wishing to be gratuitously negative, the short-term outlook is bleak. In previous seasons without essential European income, we've lost up to £10million unless we sell key players. Given none were sold in the last window, can we really afford to turn down offers come January? How will such potential sales affect our title challenge? Add in £4million of outstanding tax claims; ring-fenced director dismissal costs and what must be large lawyer fees (which we also struggle to pay); then this is indicative of palpable pecuniary issues.

If we take that line of reasoning to its natural conclusion, does this mean administration is more likely than ever before - irrespective of the larger HMRC tribunal due to be ruled on next month? If so, what are the ramifications of such a decision? Would a pre-pack agreement and ten point deduction be enough to start again afresh? How would the history and reputation of our existing club be affected? How would MIH and SDM's contribution be examined?

Some of the answers may come on Thursday night via what is likely to be a less than positive BBC expose by Mark Daley of Panorama fame. Suffice to say, these answers won't be the ones we want to hear and quite frankly, the fact our club is now under investigation on three fronts (legal, media and tax) isn't just embarrassing but a scandal which should concern every Rangers supporter.

Now, some will say our current predicament isn't one of Whyte's making. That's true and it's unfair to suggest the guy is to blame for existing HMRC problems. However, it has been several months now since he bought the club and he has yet to really show us how he intends to run it. With next to no board of directors and minimal investment, how can he possibly do so effectively?

To conclude, as Halloween approaches, we certainly do have people knocking on the door of our proud club. They're dressed as tax men, lawyers, and journalists - and all are frightening me to varying degrees.

However, the scariest aspect for me is that we've still to see the person who is answering the door to these people. Who is Craig Whyte and what costume is he wearing - the sheep or the wolf? It is beyond time for him to show his hand - no more sweeties and no more small change.

What is the future of Rangers Football Club?

It could be worse Frankie he could be dressed as Guy-fox singing these lyrics from Pink which seems so appropriate at the minute..

This used to be a funhouse

But now it's full of evil clowns

It's time to start the countdown

I'm gonna burn it down down down

I'm gonna burn it down

Echoes knocking on locked doors

All the laughter from before

I'd rather live out on the street

Than in this haunted memory

I've called the movers

Called the maids

We'll try to exorcise this place

Drag my mattress to the yard

Crumble tumble house of cards

I'm gonna burn it down

Oh, I'm crawling through the doggy door

My key don't fit my lock no more

I'll change the drapes

I'll break the plates

I'll find a new place

Burn this fucker down

:frown:

We don't know where we are being led, and not a murmer in the Stands.

I don't blame people for not wanting to look the devil in the eye. I don't either. But we must stand up at some point?

It could be worse Frankie he could be dressed as Guy-fox singing these lyrics from Pink which seems so appropriate at the minute..

I'm gonna burn it down

Echoes knocking on locked doors

All the laughter from before

I'd rather live out on the street

Than in this haunted memory

I've called the movers

Called the maids

We'll try to exorcise this place

Drag my mattress to the yard

Crumble tumble house of cards

I'm gonna burn it down

Oh, I'm crawling through the doggy door

My key don't fit my lock no more

I'll change the drapes

I'll break the plates

I'll find a new place

Burn this fucker down

:frown:

Can I suggest we may see a phoenix rise from the flames ?

Stay positive.

There is no way our Club is going to be finished.

I am looking forward to the future, even though it's going to be a rough few months.

I am confident Whyte will come good.

Can I suggest we may see a phoenix rise from the flames ?

Stay positive.

There is no way our Club is going to be finished.

I am looking forward to the future, even though it's going to be a rough few months.

I am confident Whyte will come good.

My post was a bit tongue-in-cheek to be honest there is no way do I think we will be folded completely. To be honest I agree with Whyte that no matter how hard it is to accept, we really do have to start living within our means. All football clubs will have to do that in the future so we may as well get a head start and get our house in order before the rest.

Obviously, while one does not exactly now any outcome of an administration, taking it on board now and having a chance to stay at the or near the top with 3/4 of the season to go would be a clever option. IF administration can be considered a good option at all.

I'd expect that the doom-mongers will ensure some dire reading till the first hearing will actually take place in November.

Frankie, I'm not so sure that "boardroom reshuffles" is the correct terminology for either booting or forcing them all out the door. Well, if that's what you call it at least nobody will accuse you of being anti-Whyte! ;)