SFA likely to review Sone Aluko penalty award in Rangers win

Well for me, simulation, otherwise known as "cheating" should be at least a 10 game ban - when judged during the match or retrospectively. The problem is always proving it - as one man's simulation is another's destabilising contact. "Blatant" offenders should for me, be given about a year ban at least. In other industries (accountancy???) they would be sacked, lose their licence, and criminal charges pursued.

I'm probably in a minority though, as many people condone it as "part of the modern game". To be honest, I HATE cheating, but realise, judging it in a high speed, contact sport like football is incredibly difficult.

PS The biggest problem for me his how unevenly the rules seem to be applied these days. I've seen simulation after dive for loads of other teams and nothing happens - the ghost of a chance a Rangers player has done it and we'll be seeing a media outcry and new law with a 10 year jail sentence by next week...

By Andrew Dickson

RANGERS have rejected the offer of a two-match ban being applied to Sone Aluko from the SFA after he was alleged to have dived against Dunfermline on Saturday.

That means the former Aberdeen player's fate will be determined at a fast track tribunal on Thursday as it is decided whether or not any suspension should be imposed.

Aluko won a penalty in the first half of Saturday's game against the Pars with the scores at 1-0.

Referee Steve Conroy - who had a good view of the incident as he fell under Martin Hardie's challenge - had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

And Nikica Jelavic tucked away the chance from 12 yards to ultimately net the winner in a tight game with Jim McIntyre's team which ended 2-1.

Aluko was adamant after the final whistle that he had been fouled and there was little in the way of complaint from members of the away team, with television replays suggesting Hardie may have made contact with the winger.

Regardless of that, SFA compliance officer Vincent Lunny has reviewed the incident and feels Aluko was guilty of simulation, thus he has given Gers the chance to accept a two-game ban.

They were notified of that late this afternoon and if it is ultimately enforced, the 22-year-old will miss meetings with Hibernian and Inverness.

However, the club believes Aluko should have his punishment removed and a final call on what should happen will be made later this week.

You can only tell for sure if a player has dived,ie; no contact,if there was contact,which in this case there was,then how can you tell he dived?

Exactly Ian. Nobody likes to see players diving when they haven't even been touched, but in many cases where there's a little bit of contact it's really difficult to judge whether the player has tried to cheat or not. It seems to me like the SFA are opening up a can of worms here, especially with the precedent they set in the Gary O'Connor case.

Exactly Ian. Nobody likes to see players diving when they haven't even been touched, but in many cases where there's a little bit of contact it's really difficult to judge whether the player has tried to cheat or not. It seems to me like the SFA are opening up a can of worms here, especially with the precedent they set in the Gary O'Connor case.

If I was Aluko and I didn't win this case I'd take it to court and sue the barstewards

I know there's a lot of glib stuff about how he "obviously" dived - but even though I haven't yet seen it and he may be guilty, a lot of people talk like they've never played a football match in their life or even run at top speed where it only takes the slightest nudge to send you off your feet. It's a bit like the old woman who complained she saw a footballer spit once which proved she'd never done a decent bit of exercise in her life... The thing that gets me is that many pundits have played the game then talk like they've never experienced anything like a completive sporting occasion. I've seen players go down in agony for the slightest contact and been slagged off for being a pussy when I KNOW how much a simple sclaff on the shin can hurt - only for a couple of minutes and then it's fine - but ironically the player then gets slagged off for recovering too quickly...

I'm not even endowed with any football gift, but having played the game at the lowest levels, I can't comprehend the crap some people come out with, which sounds like the nearest thing they have come to the sport is a bit of a bitchy knitting contest.

Run as fast as you can and let someone give you a tug and see how long you stay on your feet, I'll bet I could knock you over with the slightest of nudges. Is it a penalty - that's for the referee to decide at the time. The biggest trouble we have is that so called professional footballers sometimes fall down just because they "feel something" and that is condoned by the same commentators and fans who call them "clever" - except when it's a Rangers player.

Some players are killing the game - some big name players who people actually look up to and respect for some strange reason - the question is: is Aluko one of them?

Like I said, I haven't even seen it, but in the context of what's been happening, I reckon there's a lot of real shit going on here...

I still play football, not to a high level anymore, and I can fall over with ZERO contact if off balance, and it isnt simulation either, I just dont have perfect balance at times :D

I was about to make the very same point as you cal, when a player is running at full tilt and have a vision of where and how they are going then the slightest nudge, or pull of an arm could easily throw them off balance. Just because it LOOKS soft with little contact doesnt mean that it is simulation.

Also, BD, completely agree - it is absolutely RIDICULOUS that a yellow card incident can be retrospectively punished with a 2 match game. The SFA are making a total fucking shambles of the game in Scotland - and all they need to do to see how they allowed it to become this way is look to the East End of Glasgow where much of this abomination came from. All the "clarification" bullshit, the smear campaigns against officials etc has paid off, but only in dragging our game back into the dark ages.

Rangers, in my opinion, HAVE to fight this all the way - we need to do it for the sake of the game in Scotland. Samaras feigns an elbow in the face and the ICT player walks unjustly (as confirmed by the rescinding of the red card without it even becoming a yellow) which means that the panel felt that it was simulation (if they didnt think it was a yellow card offence from the ICT player then it surely is simulation for that particular incident) so why wasnt this retrospective review panel looking at Samaras having a case to defend.

I know may will disagree, but I really DO feel that there is a bit of a rule for Rangers and one for almost everyone else. Yes, O Connor got a ban (extinguished on appeal) but what about Samaras, what about Hooper's elbow earlier in the season (although I still am not convinced that one should warrant a review either).

The fact is that we seem to be getting targetted. Nobody will convince me that we are the only team that have these types of incidents during games.

Scottish Football - being thrown to the dogs by its own authority. Stupidity reigns at the SFA