SFA likely to review Sone Aluko penalty award in Rangers win

Sorry, don't agree with this. If you accidentally knock someone over in the box when they are just about to score - I'd say that's a penalty. The deliberate part is irrelevant - what is important is that you gained an unfair advantage in a way that is outside the rules, whether deliberate or not. A clumsy late challenge may not be deliberate in the slightest with the player fully intending to get the ball - but it is still a foul.

Football is a contact sport but there are rules about how contact is made - one way that is completely banned is pulling on a player with your hand, be it his body or his shirt.

Sometimes you don't even need to have contact to cause a foul - if you gain an unfair advantage by doing something outside the rules or not in the spirit of the game. Sliding in with a two footed tackle and making a player with the ball to have to jump and fall to the ground to avoid injury is still a bookable offence even if there is no contact and the tackler was fully intending to go for the ball.

Deliberateness and Contact are not required to gain an unfair advantage that needs to be re-addressed.

I apologise for not expressing myself very well.

When I was a referee (many years ago!) the word "deliberate" was part of the Laws of the Game. Today the relevant section of the Laws specifies a free kick when a player: kicks, trips, jumps at, charges, strikes or attempts to strike, pushes or even tackles an opponent in a reckless or dangerous manner; holds, spits at an opponent or handles the ball; and if inside the penalty area, when the ball is in play, it results in a penalty.

So I agree that if you push or trip someone it doesn't have to be deliberate to result in a free kick or penalty but equally simply touching a person's arm or making contact with their foot does not necessarily result in a free kick or penalty unless the referee considers it to be a push a hold or trip.

You are absolutely correct to say that dangerous play of the type you describe normally results in an indirect free kick and the offending player may be cautioned or sent off depending on the severity of the offence.

However, the offender does not have to gain an advantage from his actions for a foul to have been committed, though that would most often be the case.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

So,the Dunfermline manager is up on a charge for saying the referee got it wrong,and now this chunt Lunny says Aluko dived,so he is agreeing with the Dunfermline manager that the ref got it wrong?:confused::hm:

Yes Ian, it is illogical but the bottom line is that you can't criticise a referee even if it is later held that he got it wrong, because so far as the result of the game is concerned his decision is final.

IMHO, this is a BBC-instigated FARCE. And what makes it worse is that nothing happened with O'Connor, nor anything with Samaras. They bend the rules and laws as they see fit.

Agreed and if Aluko ends up having to serve a two match ban for this it'll be criminal after what happened with the O'Connor case. I really can't see how it could be justified no matter what you think about the contact on Aluko before he went down.

Agreed and if Aluko ends up having to serve a two match ban for this it'll be criminal after what happened with the O'Connor case. I really can't see how it could be justified no matter what you think about the contact on Aluko before he went down.

Does Aluko get a 3 game ban if he loses the appeal?