Ajax -AZ abandoned through a hooligan

The Dutch cup game was abandoned tonight after an Ajax fan ran onto the pitch and tried to kick the AZ goalkeeper Esteban. Esaban managed to dodge the kick where the hooligan lost his footing. Estaban then had a couple of kicks at the hooligan who lay on the ground. To the shock of the AZ players the AZ keeper got a red card from the referee for kicking the hooligan. Gert-Jan Verbeek then refused to play further as he said the safety of his players could not be guaranteed.

I will try and get a film later.

The Goalie was spot on imo. Self defence and only two kicks on the guy to ensure he didn't want to get up for more. Definitely not excessive force and I would actually have been less restrained in defending myself. Should not get carded for that imo. What are players supposed to do, roll into the foetal position until help arrives?

That goalie has some discipline issues! :D

Being serious or sarcastic ? I think he was quite right to boot the fucker, he has no idea what the guy was carrying.

BH will know best but I am astounded the keeper got sent off for that !

The referee said he had to follow the letter of the law and give a red card. When the hooligan went to ground Estaban could have walked away but chose to kick the hooligan. He said he had no other option but to give red. It is now up to the KNVB to decide what is to happen with the rest of the game.

Options.

Game will start where it finished and the remaining time will be played with AZ having 10 men.

Game will be replayed.

Ajax who led 1-0 will be put through.

Ajax will be thrown out due to not guaranteeing AZ's safety.

The hooligan was thought to be drunk and stated to security that he couldn't stand the AZ keeper.

Ajax stated that no matter what he will have a lifetime ban from the stadium.

I don't think the GK can call what he did self defence. However, I agree that the manager was correct in bringing his players off the pitch.

S_A, your comment about players rolling into the foetal position is a bit OTT. The player could move away and not get involved. It would be hard to contain your feelings and frustration but it's the simplest solution. Is this any different than what the Big Man did on the recent Scotrail video?