How would the Old Firm fare in the English Premier League?

A decent enough article by Johnny Donnelly. The facts and figures he throws about lets you understand why the "smaller" English teams will have no interest in "inviting" the Old Firm down south - not because they fear their sporting prowess at this moment and time, but because of the money they would loose if two more contenders happen by.

Working link:

http://hitthebyline.com/2012/01/16/how-the-old-firm-would-fare-in-the-english-premier-league/

Like the article says it's impossible to know really.

There's no doubt the extra finance would help but probably not quick enough to make us competitive in the short-term (even if we went straight into the EPL). To that end, where would be enter the English leagues and how much patience would our support have while we made our way to the EPL? 1 year? 3 years? 10 years?

The guy also makes the point that the highest attendances can perhaps be directly attributed to success. Surely that can be applied to us in the SPL also? Would we retain such high figures with higher ticket prices and less chance of winning the title? Initially, I'd agree - long term; I'm not so sure.

All in all, I'm not a huge backer of a move to England. I think it would raise more questions than answers though concede if we're to compete in European terms, it may be inevitable. However, by no means would success be guaranteed.

Personally I think we should walk up the leagues to the Championship where it may not be such clean cut. If we do hit the EPL I think we may have to make do with staying there for a few years and then gradually work our way up. I do think with extra money coming from all sides and crowds of 70.000 we would be up fighting for the top spots eventually.

If both clubs got into the EPL, they would definitely thrive. The access to additional finance would change overnight and therefore so would the quality of players. Games would be sell-outs every week.

There's no reason why they couldn't be mid-table in year 1 and no reason why they couldn't improve on that in the future.

If we had to start lower down, I wouldn't have a problem with that. It'd be more interesting than playing the usual suspects every year, and we should move up the leagues fairly quickly.

In both clubs' current state, we'd probably reasonably compete in League 1. Very optimistic article to say the least.

The Championship is a far far stronger league than the SPL, with only the OF being contenders to compete in it. But the truth is neither squad is particularly impressive and would probably struggle to face equal (and stronger) strength sides week in week out.

Because therein is the crux - in the SPL we face one equal side and 10 weak teams. In the Championship it would be all equal and maybe better.

I'm not even entertaining the notion of the EPL because we'd be crucified there.

A decent enough article by Johnny Donnelly. The facts and figures he throws about lets you understand why the "smaller" English teams will have no interest in "inviting" the Old Firm down south - not because they fear their sporting prowess at this moment and time, but because of the money they would loose if two more contenders happen by.

Working link:

http://hitthebyline.com/2012/01/16/how-the-old-firm-would-fare-in-the-english-premier-league/

I'm not sure I agree with the logic of the cash though - no one knows how the format would work. Would we end up in non-league and work our way up, meaning it's still 20 sides in the EPL (like we'd get there :D) getting an equal share of the spoils? I doubt we'd go straight into the top league - frankly it would be embarrassing if we did.

Just suppose for a minute that Cardiff get promoted this season then they could join Swansea in the EPL where there would be be 2 Welsh teams. Now - I always thought that EUFA would not allow a league with clubs from different member associations - that was aways the barrier to us and Keltic joining up. But just imagine after all the effort we put into moving to England if we get upstaged by6 two smaller clubs from Wales.

Regarding the Welsh teams, methinks they joined up so early with the FA that there was no real split between the nations. They are a special case, as are the English Berwick Rangers.

As for the money I mentioned above. To get into English footie, the members of the relevant league AFAIK have a vote to accept us. Since any further inclusion of a competetive side would diminish the chances of smaller clubs (Stoke, Leeds, Wigan, and 30odd others) to reach the upper stratum of the English leagues, I cannot see them voting in our favour.

IMHO, our best chance to get any monetary return from those shores is either a British Cup / Challenge Cup / League, or a Euro League that stands on equal footing, not like the split between CL and UEFA group stages.