HMRC case dropped - maybe.

Its not a criminal trial so there won't be a "conviction", its a tribuneral, its purpose is to determine whether or not HMRCs assessment of the tax liability is correct. Its not so much about evidence more about the interpretation of the tax statutes and the whether what was done by the club falls within one of the permitted tax exempt schemes. Trying to avoid tax is perfectly legal, though it can be expensive if you mess it up, tax evasion is illegal and CAN land you in the criminal courts. As far as I know, no one has suggested that Rangers have been involved in ta evasion.

Yep, there's one chap on FF telling that the HMRC people did not look that happy when entering the place yesterday, while Thornhill and Co. appeared to be in good spirits. But since we only have his posts for it, no back-up whatsoever, it may well by an Operation Tango - clone attempt.

Anyway, the only real reason I can think of - with regard to a total collapse of their case - might be that while these EBT schemes were deemed illegal since 2010, a predating of MIH's use of them was thrown out by the judge.

Has such a high profile case ever ended without any announcement on the day that it is concluded and decision is pending.

I presume that it happens all the time. The arguments and evidence has been heard and now needs to be considered and reviewed, which could take some time, before the decision is announced.