UPDATE - Conversation with Mr John Bennett (Blue Knights)

But it was addressed in private what point is there making it public?

I already agreed with that point FS.

My previous post was in response to someone suggesting it is "discouraging investors" - two markedly different points.

BH has a duty to protect the investments of HIS clients.

What John Bennett does in his personal time is his business but if it impacts his performance in his day job then that has implications on those invested in his funds. And being a fund manager takes a pretty sizeable commitment, mentally as well as time-wise.

BH's concern was quite clearly that Mr Bennett may not continue to perform to his, presumable, high standards should he have to take on a time-consuming role at RFC.

And if BH has clients invested in Mr Bennett's funds then, IMO, he is actually acting very professionally towards his clients in trying to protect their investment.

As for contacting Mr Bennett first, I would assume that as the clients are specifically invested through Mr Bennett's employers; funds (Mr Bennett is simply the fund manager) then that course of contact is the most appropriate.

What can I say, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

BH obviously had his reasons for making the information public and it's entirely his prerogative to have done so. He also said that John Bennett knew the information would be getting posted here, so there doesn't seem to be any breach of confidence.

That is a reasonable point FS. BH can determine how comfortable John Bennett was with this information being published.

As stated in the OP, I advised Mr Bennett that I would be posting on this site and we agreed a mutually acceptable form of words.

I could, of course, have kept this whole thing quiet but I chose to publish in the knowledge that I might get some negative comments along the lines of what "Capstans" said.

My judgement was that Rangers fans should be aware that Mr Bennett took the view that his name had been linked with the consortium "early" and that having spoken to Mr P Murray on Thursday he did not think he could offer the time commitment required at the same time as discharging his day job.

He did not want me to say any more than that before he was able to speak to Mr Murray again and I readily agreed to that condition.

No it wasn't, FS.

It was sent to the CEO of a public company who would be well aware that this is a public issue both for Rangers fans and investors in their funds and their advisers. It had already been reported in the financial trade press.

Clearly the CEO was sufficiently concerned to ask Mr Bennett to call me directly and he agreed to his comments being published.

I published the letter which is my perogative, so long as the CEO has seen it first (and he had it for two days by that point), so that fans would know the context of Mr Bennett's comments.

Maybe Bennett is the best judge of his own capabilities rather than some curtain twitcher.

Thank you for your kind descriptions of me.

I think that the fact that 15 people (a very high number for this site) have thanked me for the OP, speaks for itself.

Mr Bennett does indeed appear to have made his own decision and I am sure he will go public with that in the next day or two.

Edited by BrahimHemdani