UPDATE - Conversation with Mr John Bennett (Blue Knights)

Following my conversation with John Bennett on 16 March 2012, I fully expected an announcement that he had withdrawn from the Blue Knights for business reasons.

When this wasn't forthcoming, I wrote to the CEO of Henderson's again on 2 April 2012 pointing out that I had agreed to give Mr Bennett an opportunity to speak to Paul Murray before making an announcement one way or the other and suggesting that the time was now well overdue for some clarity on whether or not he was still involved with the consortium.

When I didn't get a response to the letter I contacted the CEO's office on Wednesday and again today following which I had a conversation with the Global Head of Distribution for Henderson, a man it happens I have known for many years.

Apparently the delay in responding has been due to the fact that both Mr Bennett and the CEO have been on holiday and other senior figures within the Group have also been off over Easter.

That said, he agreed with me that the matter needs to be "put to bed" urgently and he did indicate that he had "heard that he (Bennett) was no longer involved" (with the Blue Knights) but that he could not confirm until he returns from holiday on Monday.

As you know my primary concern is for those of my clients who have money invested in Funds run by Mr Bennett and in that connection the Global Head of Distribution indicated that he would be putting it to JB "first thing on Monday" that there was concern in the (financial services) market place over his possible role and the effect it might have on his fund management responsibilities and that he had to declare if he was "in or out" on Monday.

Although I will be in Spain on holiday I have agreed to take a call from either the GHoD or JB on Monday and will do my best to post the result on here asap.

As Ergatrude pointed out

(I have) already said that the only reason (I) contacted JB was to clarify how his involvement with the BK consortium would affect (my) clients. The findings were posted here because they are relevant to how we should see PM's bid as it would appear that he has been less than honest.

In other words the fact that I have a business connection has allowed me to find out information of relevance to the bid and therefore of interest to Rangers fans and I made no secret of this in both the conversations.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

It is apparent that your concerns are of a nature that leaves the club a bad second.

I am sorry you feel that way, but it is not a case of first or second, it is the case that my business connection in this case has put me in a position to find out information of relevance to the bid and therefore to fans views of the bid.

Are you suggesting that it would be better not to know if Mr Bennett is part of the BK consortium, or is your concern more that if if he is not it may harm that bid?

You may not have noticed that 20 people thanked me for the OP which is a very high number for this site.

Wouldn't it be better if we knew all the parties to all the bids, how much they were committing personally, and what they were expecting in return?

I may be wrong but I think capstans was meaning that your concerns over Mr Bennett would have been proven to leave the club a bad second.

If I understand you correctly, I am sorry but I don't see how knowing if Mr Bennett is or is not a member of the BK consortium does any harm to the Club.

If the Administrators think they are the best bid then I would think they will get preferred status whether or not Mr Bennett is part of the consortium. But surely we as fans are entitled to know the names of the members of the consortium are we not and particularly if someone who was said to be part of the consortium and alleged to be a "finacial big hitter from London" is in fact not part of the consortium (and perhaps never has been)?

My point is he has had four weeks to make a statement one way or the other and hasn't done so.

Maybe I put it badly, you stated that your primary concern is for your clients as to the involvement of JB, ergo all else is secondary club included.

Thank you for clarifying.

If truth be told, Rangers are my life, it is simply the case that I am in something of a privileged postion in this case and have taken advantage of that fact to try to obtain information that might be of interest to fans; if you view that as the club being secondary, then obviously you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

Contacting the man directly in the first instance would have been preferable to going straight in and grassing him up to his boss. A bit snide.

I cannot agree with that.

In the first place this article was published on 12 March 2012 http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/hendersons-bennett-joins-blue-knights-to-ride-to-rangers-rescue/a573594, two days BEFORE I wrote to Henderson so in no way was I "grassing him up to his boss" and secondly it would not have been appropriate to write a letter like that direct to an employee of any company far less one in which I have clients' money invested.

I cannot agree with that.

In the first place this article was published on 12 March 2012 http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/hendersons-bennett-joins-blue-knights-to-ride-to-rangers-rescue/a573594, two days BEFORE I wrote to Henderson so in no way was I "grassing him up to his boss" and secondly it would not have been appropriate to write a letter like that direct to an employee of any company far less one in which I have clients' money invested.

You are entitled to do what you like, bud, that just doesn't sit right with me.