Reaction to Lafferty's wedding in a Catholic church

Guest Xander1873
To be honest' date=' why would anyone be surprised at the reaction of some of our "fans"? Check RM or FF for a sample of these utterly bonkers and prehistoric views. Our club is being shafted from all angles and is close to oblivion and the most pressing thing on these guys "minds" is where/who Lafferty is getting married... other vital topics of discussion on these particular forums have been info regarding Orange marches/lodges, the Queen and Rangers, why we should have an orange away strip....etc. etc.[/quote']

I have no problem with any of our players getting married in whatever ceremony they choose to, I am hopeful that Lafferty will be elsewhere next season but that is due to his poor value for money and his attitude.

However I don't see why you would cite those particular threads to show examples of intolerance. There is nothing wrong with threads regarding the Orange Order and their marches or our head of state and Queen of all British Citizens regardless of faith or political views. We should be an inclusive support but that doesn't mean that the Protestant/unionist community which has helped build and sustain the club should be marginalised or treated as surplus to requirements.

I have no problem with any of our players getting married in whatever ceremony they choose to, I am hopeful that Lafferty will be elsewhere next season but that is due to his poor value for money and his attitude.

However I don't see why you would cite those particular threads to show examples of intolerance. There is nothing wrong with threads regarding the Orange Order and their marches or our head of state and Queen of all British Citizens regardless of faith or political views. We should be an inclusive support but that doesn't mean that the Protestant/unionist community which has helped build and sustain the club should be marginalised or treated as surplus to requirements.

I cited these threads as they have fleck all to do with Rangers. Or am I missing something? Why would the majority of fans on RM want an orange away strip?.... Rangers are a football team, not the sporting wing of a political/religious group

And it is up to you to make such judgements/statements?

@ Zappa ... never read the other article, bnut from my understanding some intolerant chap needed to comment on Lafferty "jumping the fence" and marry (SHOCK HORROR) a Catholic? I would assume that such intolerant behaviour ain't welcome on here. Debating it though, IMHO, seems to be another matter, right? Not least when the papers present these people as "your average modern day Rangers supporters" ... like you and me?

It's up to me to make my own judgments, yes.

What I found strange about Lafferty's wedding was this - only one Ibrox player attended - Broadfoot...was it because he was the only one invited?

I'd have thought most of them will either be back home abroad, on holiday abroad or training with their national teams.

Guest Xander1873
I cited these threads as they have fleck all to do with Rangers. Or am I missing something? Why would the majority of fans on RM want an orange away strip?.... Rangers are a football team' date=' not the sporting wing of a political/religious group[/quote']

Rangers are a football club built on the backs of the protestant and unionist communities of Scotland and Northern Ireland, so I think that to try and untangle our shared history with the club is not only unnecessary but offensive. I have no problem with losing certain chants or songs because they are not appropriate and to be honest they don't represent my religious views. There are of course other songs both Protestant and British which have a place in our support.

This idea that to identify with Protestantism and unionism means that your bigoted or intolerant is quite honestly a load of s**te. A Rangers supporter who is Roman Catholic, a Muslim, a Hindu or an atheist have just as much right to support our club as anyone else but that same right can't be withheld from the Protestant community.

I understand that some dislike the place that Protestantism and Unionism has in the history of our club but I think after more than a century of support from that community we have earned our place at the club. We are not something to be ashamed of, we are not Rangers football clubs dirty little secret and our beliefs, heritage and principles are not wrong.

People should look to the other clubs in Scotland out with Rangers and celtic and see their position, fan base and trophy cabinet because without the Protestant and the Roman Catholic communities that is the position Rangers and Celtic would be in. It is said a lot that clubs should be steeped in their communities, it seems that idea only changes when the community is protestant.

I don't care what faith or political ideology someone belongs to so long as you have a love of Rangers and stay loyal through the good times and the bad ones then I would be proud to stand in Ibrox and support Rangers with you but I will not apologise for my beliefs and I will not stop celebrating my heritage. A great many people have sacrificed their lives to allow me and others that freedom.

By all means stop the add ons to legitimate and legal protestant songs, I am even happy to focus more on Rangers songs based in football but other songs have a place in our stadium and our song book.

Rangers may not be the sporting wing of a political religious group but look at the foundations of the club, they are red, white and blue with a healthy colouring of Orange.

One Scotland, many cultures or was that just for other people ?

Guest Xander1873
It's on twitter so don't shoot the messenger, big Laff tore a calf muscle walking down the aisle.

He'll hit form two months before his first anniversary.