Rhys McCabe and one other as-yet un-named player have lodged official objections to their transfer from the old Rangers Football Club to the newco.

As part of Charles Green's consortium's asset purchase, players' contracts have been transferred to the new company.

Employment law entitles players to the same terms they had under the old company or allows them to exercise a right not to transfer across.

The identity of the other player has not yet been established by BBC Sport.

A number of players are known to be weighing up their options, though Lee McCulloch is one who has stated his intention to move to the newco.

Rangers: in or out?

â?¢The company which had run Rangers until 14 June 2012 will shortly be liquidated

â?¢A new company (newco) has bought Rangers' assets, including Ibrox Stadium

â?¢The newco wants to replace the old company in the Scottish Premier League

â?¢An 8-to-4 majority of SPL member clubs, including Rangers, is required for the newco to be admitted

â?¢If 5 or more clubs vote no, Rangers will need to apply to be admitted to Scottish Football League Division Three

Several factors will be taken into account by the players, not least the fact they do not yet know if they will have a league to play in.

They do know Rangers will not play any European football for at least three years.

The players were sent letters by Green asking them to report back to the club on Thursday, also the day they are due to receive their first full monthly salary since agreeing to wage cuts at the outset of administration.

Thursday is a key date then, because employment law experts suggest that either turning up for work or indeed accepting their salary would weaken their case if they were to subsequently object to the transfer.

McCabe and the other player lodged lawyers' letters with the club on Friday, informing them of their intentions not to be part of the new set-up.

It is believed McCabe intends to pursue his career in England.

It is another blow for Green, who is battling against a perception among supporters - not helped by the failure of Walter Smith's consortium to buy his investors out - that he does not have the good of the club at heart.

Green has stated that he believes under TUPE regulations the players are obliged to transfer to the newco, but the players' union PFA Scotland insists they are entitled to walk away as free agents.

The players will have to have their registration transferred from the Scottish Football Association, which could yet be challenged by Rangers, and would inevitably lead to a lengthy legal battle.

Green should have been talking with the players all through this.

Or does he think the future is nothing for him to bother about.

It's all short term for Green IMO.

It could also be that he wants to see players leave...... reduced wages you see....

Just out of interest, are their contracts with Rangers FC or with Rangers Football Club plc? Maybe I am wrong, but the transfer to the newco is an offer. They'd still have a contract with the oldco, until it is liquidated, right?

If we go to div 3 then I can't see many staying. McCabe needs to play at a higher level than div 3 to progress IMO like some others also do. If it's div 1 then we might have a chance to keep some but if it's div 3 then we will probably have a team with players from div 1 standard, maybe div 2, with some youngsters who have not quite made it yet, then get better as we move up the leagues. It will be the worst teams in our history but will still be a big part of our history.

Green should have been talking with the players all through this.

Or does he think the future is nothing for him to bother about.

It's all short term for Green IMO.

What would he have to tell them though? "Look, it is all ifs and buts and maybes, but I can ofer you this or that or perhaps the other"? Unless I am mistaken, the players were on holiday, as was the manager. They will all be there next week though.

EDIT: Should the McCabe rumour be true, I'd feel let down. Especially by people we brought through the ranks. The minimal thing they could do is shift to the newco and move on after that, so the club that reared them gains some much needed compensation.

Well I have to say I am disappointed in this. I hope for his sake his career doesn't disappear like Danny Wilson's. Thought he could have ran our midfield for years.

Unfortunately I think in 5-7 years time after failing in England he will be playing for Dundee united or someone like that. Too early for him to move.

I'm prepared for the whole squad to leave, if we keep anybody then it's a bonus and I'll have no axe to grind with any player who chooses to get away from our chaotic club. Best of luck to Rhys, just hope he does go on to be the player we all think he can.