Rangers newco: Plans for club to enter Scottish Division One

From the BBChttp://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18625293

BBC Scotland has established plans being put in place that would allow Rangers to move directly into Scottish Division One in the coming season.

Rangers FC plc are soon to be liquidated and Charles Green's consortium are reforming the club.

But Green's Rangers newco has not gained support to replace the old club in the Scottish Premier League.

And senior Scottish football figures are proposing that Rangers start season 2012/13 in the second tier.

More to follow.

Sporting Integrity my arse. Sure the fans and other clubs will love this. Will they not need the backing of SFL clubs for this to get pushed through? Or will it indeed be the introduction of playoffs as a carrot incentive.

BBC Scotland has learned of plans being put in place that would allow Rangers to move directly into Scottish Division One in the coming season.

Rangers FC plc are soon to be liquidated and Charles Green's consortium are reforming the club.

But Green's Rangers newco has not gained support to replace the old club in the Scottish Premier League.

And senior Scottish football figures are proposing that Rangers start season 2012/13 in the second tier.

There are also plans for the SPL and Scottish Football League bodies to be merged into a new organisation called 'The Scottish Professional Football League' in 12 months' time.

The main points of the propsals are:

•Rangers are to be relegated with immediate effect and be replaced in the SPL by Dundee.

•Television rights for Rangers matches in Scottish Football League Division One are to be bought by the SPL for £1m.

•The SPL and SFL will merge into one body at the start of season 2013/14.

•Play-offs between the top two divisions will be introduced in time for the coming season with one team from the top flight and three from the second tier competing for a place in the following season's SPL.

•There will be an increase in the parachute payments made to clubs relegated from the SPL.

•Changes will be made to the distribution model for clubs in the top two tiers with teams in the lower leagues earning a similar amount to the current set-up.

•A new pyramid system will become effective from season 2014/15 that will allow a potential place in the new league format for a team from either the Highland league or newly-created 'Lowland League'.

•Rangers newco acceptance into the Scottish FA would only be approved if they accept responsibility for the football debts and fines incurred by the pervious club along with their waiving of rights to a legal challenge.

It is understood Rangers chief executive Green has been "briefed" by Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie on the plans to gain their approval.

All these changes have to be approved by SPL and SFL clubs over the next few days.

- Rangers newco acceptance into the Scottish FA would only be approved if they accept responsibility for the football debts and fines incurred by the pervious club along with their waiving of rights to a legal challenge.

It is understood Rangers chief executive Green has been "briefed" by Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie on the plans to gain their approval.

So that might be a 25-point penalty and a transfer embargo with no right to appeal. That sounds like integrity to me. And fairness. And ... dictatorship.

Right now, I cannot see many clubs saying yes. Then again, it is not solely about us this time, it is about money on the whole. Well well.

Edited by der Berliner
schpelling

So that might be a 25-point penalyt and a transfer embargo with no right to appeal. That sounds like integrity to me. And fairness. And ... dictatorship.

Right now, I cannot see many clubs saying yes. Then again, it is not solely about us this time, it is about money on the whole. Well well.

I understood that part to refer to the financial stuff - football debts & fines. The legal challenge I read as the newco not challenging the debt/fines of the oldco.

Which debts though? Methinks the SFA/SPL/SFL cannot ask us to e.g. pay the debts to other clubs via a backdoor. Metinks that would be illegal? What debts there are left is being paid in % by the admins.

Edited by der Berliner

The only way this is going to work is if there's no vote. It's good for the Div1 clubs, but is it good enough to overcome their bloody-mindedness?

Any other club not directly benefiting will bow to the mob mentality of the fans, I fear.