Rangers Football Club

Sorry but you are being pedantic. You may be factually correct but we are not The Teddy Bears, The Gers etc, either if you want to split hairs. Growing up in the 60s we were always proud to sing of The Famous Glasgow Rangers, and we won't stop now - not for any Grammatic Police.

'As I was walking down the Copland Road I met a bunch of strangers and they said to me we're off to see the FAMOUS GLASGOW RANGERS'.

That's only because it doesn't scan if you leave out the 'Glasgow.'

Fair doos mate but Rangers will always just be Rangers to me. In fact Rangers and indeed Celtic are among a unique group of British clubs that don't derive their names from a specific geographical name/location. St.Mirren' date=' Albion Rovers, Queen of the South and Arsenal are 4 more. There might be a few more that I've missed??[/quote']

From the QoS web site:

Dumfries had been nicknamed `Queen of the South` by David Dunbar, a local poet, who in 1857 stood for Parliament in the General Election. In one of his addresses, he called Dumfries, "Queen of the South", and this became synonymous with the town. Palmerston Park (already an established football venue on the site of the former Palmers Toun Farm) was chosen as the club`s home.

People from Dumfries are nicknamed `Doonhamers`. This is because when in towns in Scotland further North (i.e. most places due to the position of Dumfries near the Scottish South coast), they would refer to Dumfries as `Doon hame`; `Doon hame` is Scots dialect for `Down home`. Hence the club nickname of `The Doonhamers`. The club badge contains the same motto as that on the crest for the town of Dumfries, `A Lore Burne`, the historical rally cry in Dumfries against outside attack.

Arsenal, of course, are named after Woolwich Arsenal:

In 1886 workers at the Arsenal formed a football club initially known as Dial Square after the workshops in the heart of the complex, playing their first game on 11 December (a 6-0 victory over Eastern Wanderers) in the Isle of Dogs. Renamed Royal Arsenal two weeks later (and also known as the 'Woolwich Reds'), the club entered the professional football league as Woolwich Arsenal in 1893 and later became known as Arsenal F.C., having moved to north London in 1913. Royal Ordnance Factories F.C. were another successful team set up by the Royal Arsenal but only lasted until 1896.
(Wikipedia)

Though the straits be broad and narrow, it's follow we will,

Follow we will, follow we will,

If the straits be broad or narrow, it's follow we will,

We will follow in the footsteps of our team. [God bless them]

Follow follow, we will follow Rangers,

Everywhere, anywhere,

We will follow on,

Follow, follow we will follow Rangers,

If they go to Dublin we will follow on.

For there's not a team like the Glasgow Rangers,

No not one, and there never shall be one,

Celtic know all about their troubles,

We will fight till the day is done.

For there's not a team like the Glasgow Rangers,

No not one, and there never shall be one!

:flute::drum:

No one can argue that the correct name is "Rangers" or "The Rangers" but the expression "the famous Glasgow Rangers" is well known and well used especially in the context used by the OP.

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to travel abroad following our team also know well that we are often referred to as "Glasgow Rangers" (or even simply "Glasgow") in a way that Celtic never are or will be.

My wife is English and she call us Glasgow. Suppose it's a compliment even in these sad times people still see us as the biggest team in Glasgow.

Just curious - those who don't like the Glasgow bit being used - are any of you from Glasgow? It's not a dig - just interstested, because I could probably understand a bit better if that was the case.