Gers in for Brown and Thomson?

They certainly would add a bit of bite to the midfield. Brown has already stated his first choice would be Rangers. I don't know what Thomson's preferances are.

Somtimes you have to give out to get back. these are players i would expect to increase in price. Paying 1mill for an under rate player plus a payoff is costing us more money.

Good points but you have think back a while to remember the last time we made a good profit on a player - well except Boumsong which was a bit of a strange one that seemed more like Souness doing us a favour.

Arteta was supposed to fall into that catagory and he ended up costing us 4M, bet he's worth more now at Everton.

To be honest, much as I like those players, the last thing we need is more players in their early twenties.

I may be breaking the new ageism law here, but I really would like us to bring in a couple of seasoned campaigners. The priority for me is a big dominant centre half and big target man centre forward, both with a never say die attitude.

I want us to compete for the ball in both boxes.

i disagree - i think a player like scott brown is exactly what we need. being young doesn't necessarly preclude quality, and i think in his case that is what we would be getting.

i'd say, in his football development, he seems to be around the same level as clement.

though i agree we need a centre half first.

I have no doubts about their quality as well as others from the Hibs team but one thing about that team is that it's very inconsisant and that is usually put down to inexperience.

There is an old wisdom I agree with that you have to get the right blend of youth and experience and I put some of our problems down to not getting that right.

Alan Hansen said, "you don't win anything with kids" and then Sir Alex went out and provided the exception that proves that rule... ;)

I have no doubts about their quality as well as others from the Hibs team but one thing about that team is that it's very inconsisant and that is usually put down to inexperience.

There is an old wisdom I agree with that you have to get the right blend of youth and experience and I put some of our problems down to not getting that right.

Alan Hansen said, "you don't win anything with kids" and then Sir Alex went out and provided the exception that proves that rule... ;)

yup, it is about balance. just now the balance isn't good, but i still think we should get scott brown if we have the chance. he's a good player.

Guest SHANKILL_LOYAL

these two players are a must for us in the jan transfer window. they are cracking players at the minute and will only get better under the guidance of P.L.G.

Have to agree with the general view that an experienced commanding centre half is required...someone in the Goughie mould. The current situation at Hearts is worth keeping an eye on, especially Elvis's. I think he would be a great sigining in January on a 2 year deal. He knows what the clubs all about and would help 'fire' the team up and the likes of Svensson could learn a lot from him. Craig Gordon would be unaffordable and don't think Hartley would come to Rangers.

As for Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown from Hibs, I think they would be fantastic signings but with all the supposed Premiership interest in them I think you'd be looking at £3million MINIMUM for the 2 of them especially as they are both on long term contracts. The only way we could afford them is getting through the UEFA cup group and disposing of some of the 'dead wood' at Ibrox, the likes of Gavin Rae, perhaps Nacho, Fernando Ricksen. They'll also be taking into account the fact that a high earner like Stefan Klos will be off the payroll in the summer.

Malky

Have to agree with the general view that an experienced commanding centre half is required...someone in the Goughie mould. The current situation at Hearts is worth keeping an eye on, especially Elvis's. I think he would be a great sigining in January on a 2 year deal. He knows what the clubs all about and would help 'fire' the team up and the likes of Svensson could learn a lot from him. Craig Gordon would be unaffordable and don't think Hartley would come to Rangers.

As for Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown from Hibs, I think they would be fantastic signings but with all the supposed Premiership interest in them I think you'd be looking at �£3million MINIMUM for the 2 of them especially as they are both on long term contracts. The only way we could afford them is getting through the UEFA cup group and disposing of some of the 'dead wood' at Ibrox, the likes of Gavin Rae, perhaps Nacho, Fernando Ricksen. They'll also be taking into account the fact that a high earner like Stefan Klos will be off the payroll in the summer.

Malky

good first post - pretty much spot on.

welcome to the boards.