Sports tycoon Mike Ashley to buy stake in Rangers

Well, I hope too ...
Emma Dodds ‏@SkySports_EmmaD

Rangers chief executive Charles Green hopes to have three billionaire investors including Mike Ashley in place at club within weeks.

Is Craig Whyte coming back in then...;)

Emma Dodds ‏@SkySports_EmmaD

Rangers chief executive Charles Green hopes to have three billionaire investors including Mike Ashley in place at club within weeks.

FFS i told Green to keep my name out of it at the moment ha ha.

Can only be good news getting more investors but await the normal ones on here to tell us how bad more investment will be. We even had somebosy on here the other day saying would you like Rangers run like Apple or Sky? What 2 of the biggest companys going, no way would we want Rangers run prop like this my god we want debt and more debt.

The Glazers NYSE mini float seems to have fallen on it's arse...they're ONLY raising $230m instead of the $400m they were after. Share price is now more like $14 a share rather than the $20 originally expected. The really scary part is that this money was intended to service the EXISTING debt!

...and people think we imploded? If it gets critical it will be an implosion of biblical proportions.

Ashley would be another good person to have on board, he's got Newcastle on a sound financial footing, strong on the park as well and his Sports Direct company is doing well during tough times which have seen others struggle to the point of going under. You can also see why a debt free Rangers will appeal much more to guys like him who can invest a modest amount for a stake in a club on the up but which also has a large fan base and could obviously lead to tie-ins with his sportswear business.

I thought when Ashley came in the fans didn't like him because he wasn't prepared to splash the cash and wanted to run the club within its means etc which is also the reason Green made enemies at Sheffielf Utd from the off?

The Glazers NYSE mini float seems to have fallen on it's arse...they're ONLY raising $230m instead of the $400m they were after. Share price is now more like $14 a share rather than the $20 originally expected. The really scary part is that this money was intended to service the EXISTING debt!

...and people think we imploded? If it gets critical it will be an implosion of biblical proportions.

Sounds to me like Man U fans are being massively ripped off by the Glazers. The borrow the money to buy the club and then sell a small part of it to pay of their debt - and the club pays the rest.

We might be the next in line for this sort of profiteering. All we needed was a benevolent Richy Ritch to underwrite us to help us buy our own club and finance it which could have been paid for in a share issue for about £15m. We'd then own 100% of the club for 100% of the money - rather than a fraction of the club for most of the money.

THE SFA have given Newcastle owner Mike Ashley the green light to buy a stake in Rangers.

Tycoon Ashley will pay £2million for a 9.8 per cent share after vowing not to interfere in the running of Gers.

But after Ibrox chief Charles Green ditched a £48m, 10-year deal with JJB to sell Gers’ kit, Ashley will recoup his cash by selling the jerseys in his Sports Direct outlets.

However, the SFA only agreed to Ashley’s investment after he gave his word that he would not be involved in the running of Gers.

An SFA spokesman said: “He has given us assurances that he will not be involved in the management or administration of the club and that he is merely becoming involved as an investor.”

Dorin Goian last night confirmed he plans to see out his contract at Ibrox.

The Romanian defender has two years left on his current deal but was expected to leave following Gers’ demotion to the Third Division.

But Goian, 31, said: “Rangers is more than a football club.

“I just feel good here and so do my family. Things are working out well here. I have two years of my contract left. If things go well, I will stay here.”

Rangers, however, have been jilted before their Third Division bow — by a wedding!

The Ibrox side tried to book into a local hotel before tomorrow’s opener at Peterhead, which will be refereed by Stephen Finnie.

But the Buchan Braes Hotel knocked them back and Gers will now stay overnight in Aberdeen instead.

Hotel boss Tony Jackson admitted: “We weren’t able to accommodate them, unfortunately as we have a wedding on Friday.”

Meanwhile, former Rangers midfielder Rhys McCabe has called in FIFA in a bid to get the green light to play for Sheffield Wednesday.

The 20-year-old joined Wednesday after refusing to have his Gers contract transferred to the newco.

But the SFA have still not given him international clearance and he now hopes world soccer chiefs can get his career up and running again

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4480792/SFA-give-Ash-the-all-clear.html

Apparently they were only using half of the float to service existing debt. Though I imagine it wasnt just for servicing debt but paying SOME of it down.

Good to see Goian staying although the sceptic in me thinks the biggest influence was that he'd struggle to get a similar wage elsewhere at his age. At least he's saying the right things and one hopes that he believes it to some extent and will be motivated to play and become a hero rather than just go through the motions and pocket the wage.

Some of the players must be feeling the sense of anticipation and tangible excitement for the adventure of going back up the leagues and if they show the right attitude, playing against a lower standard of player must be quite enjoyable a lot of the time. It sure beats a better bunch of players taking the piss out of you or a competitive SPL side who are not only up for it but are also kicking you off the park.

It may not be as challenging, but it should be more fun - they just have to look at Gazza's performances for that as even the best SPL players were several levels below him, and he relished it.