Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I disagree, with our resources, training ground and ability to offer a decent wage I think a few good managers would fancy this challenge.

I agree with this, I do think there would be quite a few who would love the challenge of taking us back to the top and being apart of our history. Still don't think it will happen anytime soon though.

So I think there has been some debate in this thread about results vs performance and which is most important or whether the two go hand in hand.

So last night was rather apt in this regard.

Whilst collecting my UEFA C licence last night (which isnt that hard to obtain, clearly) the assessor (Jacques Crevoisier) made a presentation to the coaches in attendance on what he and UEFA have called "The Evolution of the Modern Day Pro Coach".

His presentation included what the key points are with regards to coaching and management these days (focussing on the managers such as SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Guardiola, del Bosque, Low etc etc etc).

The number 1 driver for managers ? Results. So those who prefer results over performances are correct.... but wait....

The number 2 driver for managers ? To play well.

And he was keen to stress that the two should go hand in hand but with results being slightly more important.

other drivers were :

1. Dealing with the media - being comfortable speaking to the press and being a vocal ambassador of the club (and it isnt as easy as you might think)

2. Dealing with the differing cultures of players

3. Dealing with agents

4. Improving players (this one really got me.... Ally has takent he best players from THREE SPL teams and made them look worse than Division 3 players). The guy made the point about Wenger at Arsenal and it is true, Arsenal may not have won anything in years but some of that can quite comfortably be attributable to them still being a selling team. Nobody could deny that Wenger made RvP, Henry, Bergkamp, Petit, Viera, Flamini, Cole, Fabregas, Nasri better players. He took very good players but made them even better - and sold them at huge profit. Have we honestly seen ANY improvement in ANY players since Ally took over ?? I cant really think of any but am open to suggestions.

5. Creating a Philosphy - footballing

6. Backroom staff - this one was telling for me - the importance of backroom staff cannot be forgotten as they form part of the management team, even the physios.

7. Relationships with other clubs

The whole presentation was excellent and was an insight into how to create a structured management team and even to the point where he had spoken to a club chairman and asked how the selection of a manager was carried out and what characteristics that he would look for in the appointment.

I tell you this, I would take this guy as our manager in a heartbeat. He is a name that very few people know but he has an excellent reputation in Europe and is massively respected by many top players including Anelka, Drogba, Malouda, Henry, Walcott - and that is just a few of them. He has been good friends with Wenger for almost 40 years, we could maybe get some of the Arsenal kids on loan :D

He is back in Bermuda next May and Houllier (who he worked for at Liverpool back in the early 2000's) has agreed to come with him - am already looking forward to it, should be a great learning curve - maybe I should ask Houllier if he fancies a job at Ibrox.....

allys got plusses in about two of those 8 both because he's a charming guy.

otherwise he fails completely.

You can tell the difference between a side who are simply under achieving and a side who don't know what they are supposed to be doing. Last night it looked like the latter and McCoist and Durrant have to carry the can for that. It's heartening to read that most of us wrestle with our respect for McCoist and what he has put on the line for Rangers but all the good will in the world won't erase last night from my mind.

3rd Division, limited talent, distractions or not last night was totally unacceptable.

I am telling you, Charlie should be on the blower to me right now.

I will sort it out for him.

I have some great training drills for grassroots and U8 players.... seems some of our players and coaches could be doing with utilising them.... :D

calderwood is a terrible idea. he's just the cheep option.

thank god Lloyds didn't foist him on us and if green does he should be hounded.

calderwood can't get a job in Scotland and being better than ally is zero qualification.

we should appoint a forward thinking young manager who's going somewhere in the game.

the list should be topped by Derek McInnis and work from there.

McInnes is a fair shout. I just feel we need an old head right. Ow that k laws the game.

DM would be a gamble, as would any manager, but I think JC would be a safe bet and would get us through the leagues

He wouldn't miss and not the wall with the under achievers