The New Durrant

Ever since Billy McNeil described Steve Fulton as being the new Baggio* and made himself look like a tit and Fulton, an SPL standard midfielder, almost collapse under the burden of expectation, the tabloids love a good comparison, the harder to live up to the better.

* For any children reading Roberto Baggio was an Italian genius from the 80s and 90s, go look him up on You-Tube, he's worth it.

Just burst out laughing in the office reading that....first time I knew of it.

Baggio was one of my fave players and is one of the greatest of all time.

Just burst out laughing in the office reading that....first time I knew of it.

Baggio was one of my fave players and is one of the greatest of all time.

Pundits made comparison on the two all the time from what I can recall.

One was a thug and more comparable to Lennon due to the affliction with contorting his face all the time in anger. The other, well, history speaks for itself - quality player.

He looks to be a very promising player indeed, I haven't seen anyone like him for a while play for us. The way he drops his shoulders and turns the other way and easily goes past players is a joy to watch. He can pass/cross and seems comfortable on the ball and loves to run with it. As long as he gets plenty of game time, stays injury free and other players look after him he can be a very good player. People will always make comparisons to past players and if he gets anywhere near where Durrant was before his injury I think we'll all be happy with that.

* For any children reading Roberto Baggio was an Italian genius from the 80s and 90s, go look him up on You-Tube, he's worth it.

Most of the video's are probably sadly enough gonna show his tragic penalty in the WC final '94.

I'm always careful with these comparisons. I remember this one Argentinian kid Andres D'Allesandro who played for German side Wolfburg about 10 years ago. He was prospected to be the new Maradona. Snap, never heard of him again. Where does all that need to compare current players with legends come from anyway? If a kid's good, he's good. Can't be bothered with analyzing similarites to players that came years and years before him.

Most of the video's are probably sadly enough gonna show his tragic penalty in the WC final '94.

I'm always careful with these comparisons. I remember this one Argentinian kid Andres D'Allesandro who played for German side Wolfburg about 10 years ago. He was prospected to be the new Maradona. Snap, never heard of him again. Where does all that need to compare current players with legends come from anyway? If a kid's good, he's good. Can't be bothered with analyzing similarites to players that came years and years before him.

but he was great in championship manager.

Ortega was the original New maradona.

The need for 'new' as a prefix is simply lazy journalism, an affliction of pandemic proportions if you suffer from it in Germany too. I understand why fans do it, but professional writers should be able to describe a player without resorting to it.