Bill McMurdo - Kafflicks And Proddies

For the record I'm an atheist, but I do like criticising the Catholic Church because of how they generally conduct themselves.

Would agree with that.

I always bugs the hell out me when there's a controversial topic on the news...."A spokes person for the Catholic Church comments.....". It's never a spokesperson from the Church of Scotland, Local Rabbi, mosque or whatever.....

I don't get that part, that so many feel you have to attend church to be religious. Similar to folk saying you have to go to Ibrox to support Rangers even though we have more fans than Ibrox can hold.

For the record I'm an atheist, but I do like criticising the Catholic Church because of how they generally conduct themselves.

I think to be religious you don't need to go to church but to actually be a Protestant, you do - it's what defines you as a Protestant and not just some nondescript, "kind of" religious person, and also defines the characteristics of that denomination. It doesn't have to be a special building but to be a protestant you have to practice its doctrines and Sunday worship is part of that. You just need to read about Ernest Gordon to find out about how you can worship even in the most difficult of circumstances.

You would think that anyone who takes a religion seriously would have it at the top of their priority list and make sure they learn and subscribe to all its teachings. After all, we are talking about your immortal soul, if you believe in it, it should be the most important thing to you. Otherwise you're about as religious as a horoscope reader, someone who's superstitious or someone who states their religion as Jedi.

I don't go to Ibrox much BUT then it's not within a few miles of me, it's not free and it's often on the telly. I do read screeds on it, following all the scores and news, and spend an inordinate amount of time on an on-line forum.

If your church is 500 miles away and charges £15 for every service then you could probably get away with watching the services on the telly, reading the bible as much as possible, reading thoughts from on-line ministers, spending a lot of time on a forum discussing it, and buying church merchandise.

In fact, if someone shows as much passion for their church as many do for Rangers, then they are probably following that religion quite staunchly.

I don't get that part, that so many feel you have to attend church to be religious.

A different argument and not one I'd like to comment on, other than to say I don't think I'm in a position to dictate whether someone is or is not religious due to the level of their church attendance. That is between them and God.

Would agree with that.

I always bugs the hell out me when there's a controversial topic on the news...."A spokes person for the Catholic Church comments.....". It's never a spokesperson from the Church of Scotland, Local Rabbi, mosque or whatever.....

I'd argue that part of the reason is due to the apathy in the CoS. It would be a different story if it was something to do with nuclear disarmament but anything else and they are not that interested.

I don't think it's apathy it's just that the Kirk nowadays doesn't like to give offence to anyone. A nice safe fence to sit on is what it likes.

Me, I'm agnostic but I kind of liked the old Kirk giving everyone and everthing laldy.

On the topic of the suggestion that there is a catholic conspiracy to take over Scotland, well, that isn't so much a conspiracy as written in their dna. The official position of the rc church remains that all other Christian faiths are herasies. As such they don't so much think of it as taking over, more like their duty to persuade all non believers to return to the fold.

I think to be religious you don't need to go to church but to actually be a Protestant, you do - it's what defines you as a Protestant and not just some nondescript, "kind of" religious person, and also defines the characteristics of that denomination. It doesn't have to be a special building but to be a protestant you have to practice its doctrines and Sunday worship is part of that. You just need to read about Ernest Gordon to find out about how you can worship even in the most difficult of circumstances.

You would think that anyone who takes a religion seriously would have it at the top of their priority list and make sure they learn and subscribe to all its teachings. After all, we are talking about your immortal soul, if you believe in it, it should be the most important thing to you. Otherwise you're about as religious as a horoscope reader, someone who's superstitious or someone who states their religion as Jedi.

I don't go to Ibrox much BUT then it's not within a few miles of me, it's not free and it's often on the telly. I do read screeds on it, following all the scores and news, and spend an inordinate amount of time on an on-line forum.

If your church is 500 miles away and charges £15 for every service then you could probably get away with watching the services on the telly, reading the bible as much as possible, reading thoughts from on-line ministers, spending a lot of time on a forum discussing it, and buying church merchandise.

In fact, if someone shows as much passion for their church as many do for Rangers, then they are probably following that religion quite staunchly.

I was christened in the Protestant faith so that officially makes me a protestant. Although I stopped going to Church as a teenager, I still feel I am a protestant. Whether you feel that not going to church takes that right away from me is your meaning and a meaning that I won't be adopting soon. I still find myself singing hymns on a regular basis although I will admit my repertoire is mostly stuck on the first verse these days. I do sometimes, even in Holland, think I would like to go to church a time but that may be more out of curiosity than a sudden rush to cleanse my soul.

I feel I am protestant so that makes me protestant in my eyes and what another thinks is their opinion of which i totally respect they have the right to have.

Not going to disagree but, for example, my partner was christened in a Presbyterian Church, she believes in god, and no longer attends church. In fact, she hasn't attended church in the time I've been with her which is over 10 years. She still has faith and makes the odd prayer. She's protestant and I highly doubt no one can tell her any different. The other side is she would never call herself staunch!

A different argument and not one I'd like to comment on, other than to say I don't think I'm in a position to dictate whether someone is or is not religious due to the level of their church attendance. That is between them and God.

That's the point I was making.:)

Edited by Stimpy