I've been wondering about this. What's the difference in boots needed?

Multi studs Zappa, or mouldys as we used to call them, costs me a fortune because I have to buy two types of boot for my 4 kids.

You can also wear dimples but if the pitch is wet it can get a little slippy.

Edited by GovanAllan

From the Scotsman

By EWING GRAHAME

Published on Tuesday 18 September 2012 00:00

Rangers last night sparked a war of words with Third Division rivals Annan Athletic after claiming that the ankle injury sustained by winger David Templeton in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Galabank may have been caused by the artificial playing surface.

The allegation was strenuously denied by the Dumfriesshire club.

Templeton, signed for £800,000 from Hearts on transfer deadline day last month, collapsed nine minutes into the match with the ball elsewhere and no opponent within yards of him.

Manager Ally McCoist claimed that medical staff had assured him that the plastic pitch was responsible for the damage, the full extent of which has yet to be revealed but it is likely to rule the 23-year-old out of action for the next few months.

McCoist doesn’t believe that Annan’s 3G surface should be used for senior matches and claims that he has banned his senior professionals from using the ones at Murray Park.

“The ankle is not broken but it is pretty bad,” he said. “He has ligament damage and only time will tell if that’s worse [than a break] or not. At least with a break you know where you are. We will just have to monitor him because he will have another scan to see how severe the damage is when the swelling goes down.

“I have no idea what timescale we are looking at. I would probably settle for a month but I think it will be longer. Their player was nowhere near him: he just got his studs caught in the surface. It’s a shame because he started so well for us. Our doctor did say the pitch definitely played a part in it, but I don’t know how much.

“As those surfaces go it looked all right, but whether we should be playing on them is a different argument.

“I’m not going to start an anti-plastic pitch campaign because we have four teams in our league who use them. It doesn’t matter a toss what I think about them because we’re playing on them. That’s the way it is. We have two artificial facilities here, one outdoors and one indoors, and I don’t ask my older players to use them. That would give you an indication as to what my views are on it. But, at the same time, I fully appreciate why clubs use them because of the use to the wider community.”

Annan secretary Alan Irving, though, rejected any suggestion that the synthetic surface could be at fault for Templeton’s injury.

“These surfaces are now used in Champions League matches and cup finals and our surface is state-of-the-art,” he said. “Not counting youth-team games, we must have played a dozen times on that surface without any problems. One of the things which has become apparent, though, is that you need to wear the right footwear to play on it.

“I’m sad that David Templeton has been injured but I find it incredible that our pitch is being blamed for it. He’d gone into a tackle shortly before he went down and I wonder if perhaps he was suffering a delayed reaction to that.”

You can get your studs caught in the grass just as easily as artificial it makes no difference, anyway I thought it was clear the Annan player caught him from behind.

Has anybody asked Rangers if Templeton was wearing the right boots that would be a better question.

Multi studs Zappa, or mouldys as we used to call them, costs me a fortune because I have to buy two types of boot for my 4 kids.

You can also wear dimples but if the pitch is wet it can get a little slippy.

The quality of these pitches is actually very good. We have a couple in Bermuda and they do help with youth development - the kids can concentrate on their first touch rather than where the ball will bobble to.

Yeah, these pitches you cant wear metal studs, has to be moulds or dimples. I wouldn't recomment dimpled boots unless the pitch is very dry - even then some places will have watered the pitch a bit which makes the use of dimples a bit moot. I would wear moulded boots on these pitches - the difference is slight and the ground is forgiving enough that you wouldnt notice a big difference.

That headline first sentence is BS "Rangers sparked a war of words....." no they didnt. If you read carefully McCoist's statement he says he personally doesnt like them and thinks they can injure players but also goes onto say he appreciates why clubs have them and that we have to play on them. That is hardly a "war of words".

The Annan chairman, rightly, defends their use of an artificial pitch. What I do find a bit ingenious of the Annan Chairman though is that he says Templeton had "gone into a tackle" which suggests that Templeton was tackling someone. That too is BS. Templeton had the ball and someone tackled him. The way the Annan chairman portrays it is incorrect.

Either way though this is just negative headline-hunting about Rangers again. Every team we have come up against has been very complimentary towards the club, management, players, staff, fans - so they had to make something up eventually about "big, bad Rangers not getting along too well with their Div 3 counterparts"

players had a better first touch when the played on the streets or in Brazil's case beaches. :)

The difference there is that they immersed themselves in football. They had nothing better to do with their time, both on the streets of the UK and on the beaches of Brazil. Nowadays in the UK they have far too many other distractions.

But I certainly witness it here that it makes coaching easier when you know what the trajectory of the ball is going to be when passed to you. You can start to coach the kids about playing with their heads up looking for their next movement when you know that the ball will come to them "true" - whereas on grass pitches (out here the pitches get bare due to prolonged lack of rain) the kids have to concentrate more on the ball arriving than on where the ball will be going next.

But I also believe that it teaches the kids to have more focus when playing on grass too - so there are pros AND cons to it.

All of this should probably be a different discussion in a different thread...

The quality of these pitches is actually very good. We have a couple in Bermuda and they do help with youth development - the kids can concentrate on their first touch rather than where the ball will bobble to.

Yeah, these pitches you cant wear metal studs, has to be moulds or dimples. I wouldn't recomment dimpled boots unless the pitch is very dry - even then some places will have watered the pitch a bit which makes the use of dimples a bit moot. I would wear moulded boots on these pitches - the difference is slight and the ground is forgiving enough that you wouldnt notice a big difference.

Bermuda?...

GA, you get paid too much.... just get them all ONE set of boots, moulded studs. Much as though these days manufacturers classify them as HG or SG (Hard ground or Soft ground) the reality is there isnt that much difference between the two sets of boots.

That said, I do the same with my kid - I get him the SG and the HG boots. I am thinking, for the upcoming season, that I will get him the new Adidas Absolado's, especially as they are red, white and blue....

I have my first coaching session of the season tomorrow night... been promoted to coaching the U10's. Should be fun.