Slightly concerned about feedback from Green's NI trip

Andy, the LP details were put on there to show why some people may hold on to [dotted line] links to the OO i.e. the lines were a bit more solid in previous years. I have not come out ONCE on this thread to say I am strongly on any side of the arguement. If I have show me the quote and I will gladly apologise. Where I have got my shackles up is the suggestion that certain people might come to the table as fans if we get our PR right. If they were the type of fans I want they would be here now having this heated debate with us - not staying away until we get our house in order. We will agree to differ on that point as we are obviously not going to agree on the 'stay way until PR is right' debate.

Well, saying people can 'fuck off' is fairly unambiguous, but I wasn't accusing you of taking sides and I'm not looking for an apology at all.

The meaty point you make is interesting and one I hadn't thought of before. Would fans who fit the picture drawn, the fan who won't come to Rangers until the PR is right, be welcome? I can't see why not as long as they cheer for the team in blue. You don't have to sign up for anyone else'e beliefs to be a Bluenose. I mean, I know I spend a mental amount of time on Rangers boards and have done for nigh on a decade, but it doesn't make me more of a fan than someone who doesn't have a computer, for instance. Nah, there's room for us all, I think.

What people should always keep in mind, no matter how we see this or what our allegiances are, having an orange strip will be seen as a direct link to and celebration of the OO, (primarily) Ulster Protestantism and thus - in the warped public perception - bigotry and like it or not sectarianism. No matter what the actual truth is, how sectrianism or bigotry is actually defined or what it means. The ("well-guided") public does not look any further. And while I sure see many who will whole-heartedly disagree, present the "We don't care" or "why should we have them dominate our beliefs/traditions" attitude, you do have to ask: Is this really something Rangers FC needs at this moment and time? No-one asks about forgetting traditions that were groomed over generations of support, or even decry them as unappropriate. But if we have to celebrate them, let it do it in a right way at a right time ... and most of all in a way that makes absolutely certain what we mean by e.g. having an orange strip.

For some reason there's no agree button under this post so: the following user agrees with this post: Andy Steel.

Firstly Calscot I dont come onto Rangers forums to fall out with fellow Bears. I tend to use my energies fighting the enemies of our club rather than fellow bears.

Your first response to me I found particularly offensive, as you have absolutely no knowledge about me or my religious convictions or beliefs. If you think Im an over sensitive soul - just ask Frankie he will tell you otherwise.

I have no wish or desire to force a set of religious beliefs on my football club or anyone else for that matter, nor hi-jack a set of beliefs and attach them to my football club.

Ive explained to Max that is my belief that the request for such a top was done to represent the whole Protestant community in Northern Ireland not exclusively the Orange Order.

If you think the prevailing tone of this thread is one which displays a measure of objectivity towards the OO then that is your opinion. I would respectfully suggest that posts labelling the organisation "sectarian" along with other negative posts suggests otherwise.

Edited by D'Artagnan

Well, saying people can 'fuck off' is fairly unambiguous, but I wasn't accusing you of taking sides and I'm not looking for an apology at all.

The meaty point you make is interesting and one I hadn't thought of before. Would fans who fit the picture drawn, the fan who won't come to Rangers until the PR is right, be welcome? I can't see why not as long as they cheer for the team in blue. You don't have to sign up for anyone else'e beliefs to be a Bluenose. I mean, I know I spend a mental amount of time on Rangers boards and have done for nigh on a decade, but it doesn't make me more of a fan than someone who doesn't have a computer, for instance. Nah, there's room for us all, I think.

Rangers are in your blood as far as i'm concerned, not beliefs but Rangers as a football club, an institution, a way of life, although I disagree with the point of this thread there's things I have objected to in terms of the running of the club etc but I could never dream of walking away or withdrawing support for such reasons. The rest of Scotland may hate us out of jealousy but we have plenty of respect elsewhere, just look at the coverage of our lower division adventure in foreign media.

It seems like it's a bit of a plastic fan that will just decide to come along depending on how good something like PR is to be honest.

Rangers are in your blood as far as i'm concerned, not beliefs but Rangers as a football club, an institution, a way of life, although I disagree with the point of this thread there's things I have objected to in terms of the running of the club etc but I could never dream of walking away or withdrawing support for such reasons. The rest of Scotland may hate us out of jealousy but we have plenty of respect elsewhere, just look at the coverage of our lower division adventure in foreign media.

It seems like it's a bit of a plastic fan that will just decide to come along depending on how good something like PR is to be honest.

I hear what you are saying but this is were I probably differ from many fans on here. Rangers are my football team and I will always try and to get to as many games as I can but I will be honest they are not a "way of life" to me. They are one aspect of my life but I don't think I could go as far as to say that they are a way of life. If that makes me less of a fan then so be it but I suppose we are all different

If you think the prevailing tone of this thread is one which displays a measure of objectivity towards the OO then that is your opinion. I would respectfully suggest that posts labelling the organisation "sectarian" along with other negative posts suggests otherwise.

Haven't retraced all of this' date=' but wasn't it just one chap describing the OO as sectarian? Obviously, emotions run high here, but by default (and not least the current-day-West-of-Scotland default) the Orange Order is a Protstant only organisation ...

The Orange Institution (more commonly known as the Orange Order, the Orange Lodge or the Orangemen) is a Protestant fraternal organisation based in Northern Ireland.

... and thus behaves sectarian. Before people go ballistic ... that is simply the way the order is perceived! The definition of the word is manyfold and differs widely, but we should make no mistake about what really matters here and now (i.e. Scotland). It is the common opinion (created and groomed by you know who) that places the OO alongside all sorts of Irish Republican rabble, if not terrorists. As long as this misconception is not cleared once and for all, anything "orange" will be viewed as sectarian and bigotted and whatnot, no matter how far from the truth this actually is.

Edited by der Berliner

True, but PR has to do with more than just appealling to our own fans. It's also about how the fans of other clubs see us.

Now, I'm not all that bothered about how we're thought of by other Scottish fans - they're blinded by jealousy and bitterness. But I think it's important that we have a good reputation South of the border and throughout Europe. If ever a European (or some multi-national regional European) league gets set up it could very possibly be by invitation. We need to make sure we stay on the Christmas card list of the rest of the potential invitees.

There are people out there trying to blacken our reputation all the time. Let's not give them ammo.

I hear what you are saying but this is were I probably differ from many fans on here. Rangers are my football team and I will always try and to get to as many games as I can but I will be honest they are not a "way of life" to me. They are one aspect of my life but I don't think I could go as far as to say that they are a way of life. If that makes me less of a fan then so be it but I suppose we are all different

When I talk about way of life I mean having real genuine emotion over what goes on, it being something you think about every day and having something of a routine based on it whether it's going to games, watching them on the TV or even getting the live streams if you can't get to any games or live in another country.

Of course there's still more important things in life but it's a big thing, I mean when administration happened I really could have broken down in tears.