SPL has coped with loss of Rangers, says Neil Doncaster

A post on FF.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST REFERENCE NUMBER 0692/2012

I refer to your request for information dated 24 September 2012, which was received by Strathclyde Police on that date. Your request has now been considered and on 11 October 2012, a decision was made to grant your request in full. As such, the information you have requested is detailed below.

Could you provide me with the actual spectator attendance for the Football match at Celtic Park between CELTIC and DUNDEE on 22/09/2012.

I believe actual attendance is provided to Police for health & safety reasons.

I can advise that the attendance recorded by Strathclyde Police was 31,749.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19620306

They do include season ticket holders. There was also around 600 more for a cup game against Raith than the police recorded (another FOI request). No doubt they'll claim they were supporting Turnbull Hutton by buying tickets even though they couldn't turn up.

If the Sky deal is only for one year then on Monday (next week) the figures for last Sunday's Celtic-Hearts game will prove interesting. Last season the fixture between the two clubs attracted 303,000; 242,000 & 205,000 viewers. This season the HIGHEST viewing figures for a Celtic league game is 91,000 - which is 15,000 lower than their LOWEST figure for all of last season. If it is a one year deal I don't think these numbers can be ignored by Sky.

Viewing figures can be found here http://www.barb.co.uk/

Be Careful What You Wish For PDF Print E-mail

Written by John McCrae

Friday, 12 October 2012 13:03

The origins of the phrase "Be careful what you wish for, it might come true." are shrouded in doubt. Most researchers now attribute it to writer James Baldwin, whose actual words were "Be careful what you set your heart upon, for it will surely be yours."

As a writer of various things Rangers for many years, this particular article has given me perhaps as much pleasure as anything I have previously penned.

The funny thing is that the word Rangers won't appear after its appearance in this sentence. You see, it isn't about our Club (phew, almost). It is about the League we left behind. Or were thrown out of, to be completely accurate. I'll mention the other teams, sometimes more than once. And each time, I will revel in their self-inflicted downfall.

A downfall that only two months into the season is looking imminent. This piece won't need many words, the tables will tell you what you need to know.

Looking at August (above), a couple of things jump out. Both concern Celtic FC. It has long been thought that the Club, for reasons best known to itself, inflate home attendance figures. If it does, I have to wonder if any laws are being broken. What if, God forbid, there was a disaster at the ground and Fire and Ambulance crews were called. Would the emergency services keep going back into the blazing ground to rescue people who didn't exist?

Let’s go to the numbers for the first day of the season. Celtic, the SPL and the BBC stats all show an attendance in excess of 48,000. Now this was "Flag Day", shouldn't the self proclaimed "Greatest Fans in the World" have packed the ground to capacity - given they hadn't won for so long? If you believe one Celtic supporter's excuse, because it was an excuse, not a reason, for the lack of support from the fans was that they were out buying school uniforms. Honestly. There must be some late starters at the separatist schools, because attendances at Celtic Park are still, eight weeks on, far from healthy.

I'd also refer to a point I touched upon about actual figures because a Freedom Of Information request from an intrepid member of Vanguard Bears revealed that the figure released by the police was, in fact, not over 48,000. It was 41,250. Maybe Celtic do falsely inflate the figures as suspected, then. So there we have it. 41,250. In a ground that holds 60,832. By my reckoning that means there were 19,572 extra school uniforms bought in one day alone. And they say retail is dying.

There are more damning first day stats; crisis club (I'll explain that in a minute) Kilmarnock were 64% empty against Dundee. St. Mirren, in their shiny new ground, attracted a mere 4,104.

As the month progressed, things didn't improve. On match day 2, the Edinburgh derby - surely the biggest game of the season for the two clubs involved - pulled such a low crowd that Easter Road was almost 40% empty.

The month's lowest attendance was 3,012 for ICT v Kilmarnock. In a ground meant to hold 7,753.

August figures: 205,092 at the games, 164,884 spaces. 45% empty seats.

In August no one covers themselves in glory. If Celtic's official figures are to be accepted, they were 32% empty for the month. As shown above, the official figures - in one case so far - is wildly exaggerated. And this does not take into account the members of the R.C. clergy who are allowed in free. Oh, and the 500 - 1,000 free tickets given to refugee children in Sighthill to groom, I'm sorry, to attract the next generation of fans.

Inverness, Aberdeen and Hibs are all playing in 40% empty grounds, the rest between 50% and 70% empty and crisis club Kilmarnock to 71% empty capacity.

September doesn't fare better. There are increases in the empty seats everywhere.

Motherwell now join Kilmarnock, who continue to maintain the over 70% empty figure, in hitting the over 70% empty hall of shame landmark. The "best" figure was for Motherwell welcoming Celtic FC. Look at the missing total. And this was for a top of the table clash!

Celtic are now top of the League in best attended team. But they are 30% empty - and I stress again, if their attendances are false, the figure is worse. Four teams are close to 50% empty and four more are over 50% empty. Kilmarnock remain the crisis club with over 71% of their seat not filled.

September figures: 236,675 at the games, 190,582 spaces. 45% empty seats.

Cumulative figures: 441,717 at the games, 355,466 spaces. 45% empty seats.

Oscar Wilde wrote "When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers." The SPL had their prayers answered, now it appears God is, indeed, punishing them.

John McCrae

Scrote McLaughlin (oh wonder) made a report on that game ...

Does that mean the Hooped Horrors paid more tax than was needed?

No just that they factored in season ticket holders that didn't attend, percentage of the value of a season ticket is written down each game.

Police figures will be turnstile clicks as opposed to tickets "sold".

No just that they factored in season ticket holders that didn't attend, percentage of the value of a season ticket is written down each game.

Police figures will be turnstile clicks as opposed to tickets "sold".

Yep, I know that, so it was tongue-in-cheek without smiley. But honestly, either they have an attendance, or they have an attendance ... if you understand what I am saying. Else, Rangers would have 36k plus for every single SFL home game of the season, even if the ground is only a quarter full.

Yep, I know that, so it was tongue-in-cheek without smiley. But honestly, either they have an attendance, or they have an attendance ... if you understand what I am saying. Else, Rangers would have 36k plus for every single SFL home game of the season, even if the ground is only a quarter full.

We're not exactly shy at inflating attendance figures either.

I don't see what is wrong with counting season ticket holders as their ticket is paid for. Therefore that seat is sold. As is said in another post the Police are interested in actual numbers at the game, and a club, I believe ours as well, are interested in seats sold.