Attendance figures....

That lies in the eyes of the beholder and what sort of measure you place upon the term "biggest club". I'm sure the native aliens from beyond the Clyde will have another opinion on the topic.

I hate to pull you up on your English mate as it is probably better than mine, but they are not beyond the Clyde just on the other bank and a fair distance to the east. Sorry.

To be honest I wish they were under the Clyde and I don't mean in the tunnel.

be·yond (b-nd, b-ynd)

prep.

1. On the far side of; past: Just beyond the fence.

2. Later than; after: beyond midnight.

3. To a degree that is past the understanding, reach, or scope of: an evil beyond remedy.

4. To a degree or amount greater than: rich beyond his wildest dreams.

5. In addition to: asked for nothing beyond peace and quiet.

adv.

1. Farther along or away.

2. In addition; more: wanted her share but nothing beyond.

Beyond ... from my good "old" (1992) Longman's Dictionary of English Language and Culture:

beyond (1) adv on or to the further side: They crossed the mountains and travelled to the valley beyond.

beyond (2) prep on or to the further side of: What lies beyond the mountains.

I was under the impression that the Clyde is a like obstacle as a mountain and that something can lie beyond it.

BTW, gunslinger's 3rd point would make a great description as well.

NB: If we'd still play at Glasgow Green, I probably had chosen another word.

Edited by der Berliner

There was a band in the 80s or 90s called 'Brother Beyond'.

And let's not forget the historical expression, 'beyond the Pale.' I always thought it meant something so bad that it made you even more pale than pale, but I read somewhere it was a place of exile for (I think) Jews in medieval Europe. Belgium, somewhere?

Going to be another great turnout from the supporters today. Even after the shocking result against Stirling we still turn up in our numbers. Lets hope the players give us something to cheer about today!! Looking forward to the atmosphere again it's been great.

Beyond the Pale (a pale pole/pillar) ... unless I am mistaken, it refers to some place/quarter in Dublin, beyond which the Catholics / rebels / you name it live.

The internet can be your "friend" ... Beyond the Pale. My notion above come from a Dublin Bluenose, but it might not be the original meaning (if there is somesuch).

Edited by der Berliner

There was a band in the 80s or 90s called 'Brother Beyond'.

And let's not forget the historical expression, 'beyond the Pale.' I always thought it meant something so bad that it made you even more pale than pale, but I read somewhere it was a place of exile for (I think) Jews in medieval Europe. Belgium, somewhere?

Was going to the same thing Andy, " they are beyond the pale" but wasn't sure so looked it up, and your first instincts are correct. It dates from the 14th century when the "Pale" meant a fence or line, to go beyond that mark meant you where traveling into a hostile or savage land. First use actually comes from Ireland when " The English Pale " was used by the English to let people know when they where traveling into uncivilised and lawless lands.

So it pretty much sums the MHanks up to a tee.