Possible move south for Rangers?

Guest DavieBlue

The big problem with moving to Engerland.....Will we EVER see European football again??? What are the chances of winning silverware???

Got to look at the long term, I want this for my kids and my future grandkids so they can see a better level of football. I believe we will see Euro football if we move, yes it will be years away but its at least 4 years away just now.

its at least 4 years away just now.

That's due to the rules rather than opportunity. We currently still have an opportunity to qualify for Europe via the Scottish cup - how long would it take in Engerland to get that opportunity???

If we were to make it to the Premiership, up against the likes of Man U/Man C/Chelsea etc....how long would it take us to build a team capable to challenging them for the Euro spots????

Interesting that the majority of Conference teams, from that poll, have more desire to accept Rangers into their ranks that the top league in Scotland do.....

Also interesting that one of the 3 teams that said 'no' was Newport,a Welsh team. Go figure.

The big problem with moving to Engerland.....Will we EVER see European football again??? What are the chances of winning silverware???

Thats all the teething problems that need to be looked at. I wouldnt opt for a move down south unless there was no restrictions and we played on the same rules as everyone else....i.e. we can be promoted to the Premier league, compete in the FA and League cup plus qualify for europe.

Given 2-3 seasons in the Premier League Id expect us to grow financially on levels with Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Chelsea and Man City are financially in a league of their own due to the owners and Man Utd have grown in mass stature since the turn of the millenium.

If it was the EPL or Championship even then I'd think about it but the Conference is 5th tier. Not for me, I want us back playing in Europe as soon as possible. We are Rangers, not some obscure English team.

Well we could be playing in Europe as some obscure Scottish team with little finances and a dearth of local talent compared to similar countries. I can't see that being exceptionally exciting. Not only that it could take us three or four years for it to happen while playing in a terrible system and being given one handicap sanction after another. At best we'll have the odd run while the top five get richer, Russia and Ukraine get together and get richer, the Balkans get together and get richer, Holland and Belgium get together and get richer, while we have TV companies and sponsors offering a pittance for our crap product.

Or we could be the one big Scottish club in a British league who have the adventure of playing our way up the divisions, playing teams we've never played before, most of whom are of a higher standard than 99% of the Scottish leagues and with far greater crowds. It would be another adventure BUT with the possibility of attaining the riches and glamour of the Premier League - which makes the CL money look like peanuts.

Do you want to play Man U every ten years or every season? And add in the rest of that league with Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

We may not play in Europe every season but with our Ghost of UEFA future showing us what we can expect, who really cares? The exciting thing for Rangers about Europe is to play the best on the continent on an equal level with a chance of going all the way. Not to get through a couple of qualifiers and then get out classed by richer clubs.

I'd rather be even a medium team in the CL every year than be in the Premiership, but I'd rather be a medium team in the Premiership than a minnow in Europe. And I'd be prepared to be stuck in the Championship for ten years to achieve it.

Football in Scotland has no light at the end of the tunnel and we're going downhill fast into irrelevance. The Premiership may be a house of cards but we're in a unique position to survive any crash especially after the lessons of last year.

There are seven chances of getting into Europe for the FA teams and so it's not out of the question.

With our support we would quickly become one of the top financed teams in the EPL although will not be quite in the same league as Man U and Arsenal due to their massive and well established brands or Man City and Chelsea due to sugar daddies.

However, I think we'd be bigger than most of the others and in the same category as Liverpool and Newcastle. The problem there is that Newcastle have had a nightmare and Liverpool have been struggling. So it's not easy even for the bigger clubs but overall the bigger ones are mostly nearer the top.

However, I believe we could be bigger than them as I can see a stadium expansion and 70k average attendance. In the premiership our future catchment area would be huge compared to most clubs - and at the expense of other Scottish clubs. I think if you can get 46k for the SFL3 then you can expect a 50% rise for the EPL - especially if the fans are not priced out of it.

Sponsorship would become massive and the 70m from TV would be very handy. It's the only way we'll be a huge club again as far as I can see - unless there is a successful European league.

Europe is a false god now in my opinion as the only top class players you'll be watching will be for the opposition. In the EPL, we may win nothing for a long time but at least we'll have a high standard of team to watch against a high standard of opposition.

Right now I'd gladly swap places with Swansea and I'd swap with them well before I'd swap with Celtic and their guaranteed title and a last 16 CL game against Juve.

They are a much smaller club but doing amazingly well and have a manager that would have loads on here drooling.

I've never been a fan of a British league before but things have changed dramatically. Comparing the EPL and the SPL is now like comparing an Aston Martin to a Chevrolet spark that's been in a bad accident and lost a wheel. Or maybe it's more like a Reliant Robin driven by Jeremy Clarkson that rolls over ever time it goes round a corner.

Really though, sorry to bring everyone, including myself, crashing down to earth but a talksport survey of conference club chairmen saying yes to the chance of getting their hands on our gate receipts doesn't really bring this any closer to happening. Of course they want us, we didn't need talksport to tell us that, just like they don't need to tell me the money Jakies ask for isny for soup. These are known facts we are dealing with gentlemen.

I'll start to get excited when uefa are formally approached by mr green. Step up and play laddie.

If nothing changes in the way European football is organised, then the gap between Scottish teams and those of England, Spain, Germany etc. will continue to get bigger. We'll be forced to choose between either playing "anti-football" or getting humped.

The gamble is, that it'll take many years to get to the top of "English football" (IF the Conference route is even an option). European football may well have changed by the time we get there, and we might have missed out on something big (A European or regional league) while we're fighting through the lower divisions.