Dundee United fans plan Craig Whyte mask stunt at Rangers match

Dundee United fans are being urged to don Craig Whyte masks for their Scottish Cup tie against Rangers next month.

The Glasgow side have made a stance to boycott the Tannadice game on February 2, but those who choose not to follow suit could be confronted by a sea of Arabs in masks of the controversial former owner playfully taunting them.

A post on the Facebook page of one DUFC supporters club, the A90 Arab Society, said: â??In tribute to the nemesis of the now defunct Glasgow Rangers and a wee p***-take of the non-boycotting zombies attending Tannadice on February 2, we want 10,000 Arabs wearing a Craig Whyte mask at the Sevco Scottish Cup gemme.â?

The post has since been taken down, but news of the planned stunt has spread to other supportersâ?? club messaging boards and forums.

No one from the A90 Arab Society was available for comment yesterday but fans insisted it was just â??banterâ?.

Vice-chairman of the Federation of Dundee United Supporters Clubs Scott Innes said: â??I think itâ??s just a wee bit of jovial banter thatâ??s just done as a wee bit of a wind-up to Rangers fans. I donâ??t think itâ??s intended to cause any problems.

â??They are meant to be boycotting anyway and I think the ones that are coming are just making mountains out of molehills. I donâ??t think thereâ??s any ulterior motive.â?

Billy Hoon of 0845 Arabs said: â??I think Rangers are being a bit naive doing this boycott.

â??If they were playing Celtic there would be no problems because they would want to go to that. The masks are just a laugh. I donâ??t see any harm in it.â?

Rangers fans took to the sites to retort.

One wrote â??Do you have 10,000 fans?â? while another posted â??10,000 Arabs wearing these masks hahaha, is there even 10,000 of your species??â?

Dundee United director Derek Robertson said the club was likely to discuss the matter at a pre-match meeting with police.

He said: â??This page is unconnected to the club and we therefore have no control over the content.

â??It does not appear to be a serious attempt to organise such a display or to deliberately cause a safety issue.

â??However, as we have already organised a meeting between supportersâ?? groups, our safety officers and the police to discuss all aspects of this match, I expect the matter will be raised then.â?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-united-fans-plan-craig-whyte-mask-stunt-at-rangers-match-1.65551?