Dundee United fans plan Craig Whyte mask stunt at Rangers match

I can see why some people would think the mask idea is funny, but I can also appreciate calscot's point of view on it too. I've thought some of the wind-ups were definitely offensive, especially the ones from the groin brigade with gravestone's, body-bags etc, but others weren't fussed about it and just regarded it as "banter". We all see things differently....

We'd better get used to taking this sort of 'banter' on the chin because it's not going to go away any time soon.

I can imagine fans of certain clubs 20 years from now still taking the pi$$ and referring to us as zombies, sevconians, etc.

This is from the Scotsman:

General Secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association John McMillan has condemned the plans by United fans to wear the masks, calling it â??inflammatoryâ?? and insisting it was â??disgraceful to even be thinking about it.â??

Despite the proposed plans to stay away from the match, around 200 Rangers fans are expected to make the trip to Tayside, with McMillan urging fans of the Tannadice club not to goad the travelling supporters.

McMillan added: â??I was anticipating the United supporters doing something but I didnâ??t think they would stoop to this. Itâ??s out of order.

â??Dundee United should be doing all they can to prevent their fans from carrying this threat through.â?

I find that really embarrassing, this is a time when a dignified silence would have been - more dignified. Do we really care if they wear the masks. It will only show how crass they are.

I think McMillan was asked for a quote and as a representative of a major supporter's group he gave a responsible answer. Cast your

mind back to Charles Green's statement when he backed the supporters boycott, he said that this game had the threat for trouble.

McMillan is using the same approach. He is playing the DU organization at their own game. He has set the ball firmly at their feet,

and if anything happens then it is wholely their responsibility. This is an organization and a support who attempted to destroy

Rangers. I think they have forfeited any chance of our support, or organization, taking them as a friendly group. There is a time for

friendly banter and humour and there is a time to protect yourself. I think I would rather wait until I have seen some contrition for

their previous actions and perhaps a friendly hand extended from them before I would even think of trusting them. Of course this

thing with the masks is a nonsense, but should the SFA/SPL wish to take any action in the event of trouble, both our club and

supporter representatives have done as much as they can to prevent this from happening. I agree most fans want to go to a match and

just enjoy the footbal and the atmosphere, but as Charles said - things are still a bit too raw.

In what way am I pompous? I could egg your windows or put shite under your car door handle and find it hilarious, but would you? Do you think that's grown up humour? Would you be pompous for dissing my sense of humour?

Your assertion seems to make YOU pompous every time you criticise someone for whatever behaviour they themeselves think is acceptable. Everytime you call someone a ned are you being pompous. They think violence is a normal part of life, are the rest of us pompous in judging their ethics?

People may or may not find what I funny funny themselves and vice versa but there are times when you can see when humour is immature or base or whatever - like the Andy Goram "wind up" - and I don't think that's being pompous.

You are judging me now, is that pompous? Seems to me we're all pompous then... All these people who think their idea of good football is better than everyone elses eh? Or their idea of how a CEO should act?

Can we actually just have a debate without the name calling? It just gets the heckles up for no gain whatsoever.

Sorry Cal you are losing it mate. Where in my post did I say violence or putting shite on your car door was funny.

It is a crowd putting on a mask for gods sake. I find the Zombie and dalek jibes very poor humour but I accept that some may find it is funny and my opinion is not a lead line for what the world should think humour should be. I also never called you any names I just said (or meant) your post came across as pompous.

Sorry Cal you are losing it mate. Where in my post did I say violence or putting shite on your car door was funny.

It is a crowd putting on a mask for gods sake. I find the Zombie and dalek jibes very poor humour but I accept that some may find it is funny and my opinion is not a lead line for what the world should think humour should be. I also never called you any names I just said (or meant) your post came across as pompous.

There's a huge difference between people finding a wee light hearted attempt at humour by putting some masks on and someone wiping dog shit on your car. A huge difference and a terrible bordering on embarrassing example to use.

You said that it's pompous to judge other people's sense of humour. If people find the above funny then you are saying it's valid humour and only the pompous think it isn't.

I'm sorry but it seems you're being hypocritical, you are implying that your opinion is a lead line for how I should act and that if I don't you judge me as, "pompous". Now you're opinion seems to be the lead line in how to act sane in saying I'm losing it. How are you different in saying jibes are poor humour - why are you not pompous? You seem to think you're a special case. The logic is pretty easy and maybe you're just poor at logic so far, that when you don't get it you think someone must be going mad...

I think I'm entitled to my opinion of the level of humour or whether something is funny without being called pompous. Just as you are in your last post.

I don't get the joke, I doubt many do. The wearing of a mask can be funny if it has a clever, humourous or subtle reference or some kind of irony - but where is it? It's a cheap shot rather than a clever one. I don't see it in this case. Calling someone names can be funny but I don't see the humourous angle here. "Zombie" might have been funny the first few times or even the first few hundred thousand times but just repeating it to annoy people is hardly the epitome of good humour especially when it was made up by Celtic fans; to me it's a bit lame.

I am not bothered at all about what they are doing, which is something else you seem to have missed. I'm just saying that they look a bit sad for thinking they are amazing jolly japesters of the first order when it's equivalent to schoolboy humour.

I'd be cringing if it was us, just as I cringed when I saw McMillen's reaction. Or am I pompous for having an opinion on that too?