SPL clubs give 'unanimous backing' to proposed reforms

MAVERICK Hearts supremo Vladimir Romanov has joined his SPL rivals to back the new 12-12-18 set-up.

The SPL didn’t formally vote on the proposals at Hampden yesterday.

But Jambos chief executive David Southern emerged from the four-hour summit to state Romanov is behind it — just like EVERY top-flight club.

Now the SPL hope the SFL follow their lead on reconstruction.

On Romanov, Southern said: “He is very much for a redistribution of the income across all clubs and that box has been ticked. He is very much for youth development and again that box has been ticked.

“He wants to see a vibrant, thriving game in this country and that box is also ticked.”

If at least 75 per cent of SFL clubs give their approval at the national stadium on Thursday the proposal will likely move to a deciding vote in March.

Southern added: “The key positives, not just for Hearts but for all SPL and SFL clubs, are that it gives a distinct vision for Scottish football.

“We do believe it can make the game much more attractive. We feel we might have a bright future for the game in this country.

“All I can do is give an assurance that Hearts will support anything that is to the benefit of Scottish football.

“We do believe the 12-12-18 model is the best approach for Scottish football at this time.

“What it will do is re-invigorate and refresh the game and we believe it will attract more supporters in time when they are given a chance to understand the model fully.

“We think it will create extra competition and there will be very few meaningless games. It is not fool proof and it’s not perfect.

“But it’s a step in the right direction. I don’t think it is fair to say we are not listening to the fans. We communicate with our fans regularly and this is another matter we will speak to them on.”

SPL supremo Neil Doncaster, meanwhile, said: “SPL clubs were unanimous in their view that this should be taken forward to the next stage and it’s now over to the football league clubs to give their views on Thursday.

“We’ve got a window of opportunity here for change to occur.

“It’s a package of changes that will lead to a pyramid structure for the game, much greater promotion and relegation from the first tier to the second tier, an all-through distribution formula, a single league body.”

Rangers have bitterly opposed a 12-12-18 set-up, arguing that it effectively makes their current Third Division campaign worthless.

But Doncaster said: “I don’t understand that concern.

“Ultimately, the club that finishes top of SFL3 this season, who would be playing in the third tier of Scottish football next season if nothing happens, would still be playing in the third tier.”

But Gers chief executive Charles Green blasted: “SFL clubs meet on Thursday and there has to be the concern that if they don’t vote or arrive at any concrete solution then Scottish football could be back in the same situation which caused so much trauma last summer.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4767805/Even-Vlad-wants-12-12-18.html

Rangers, in particular, have been highly critical that the changes intended to take place in 2013-14 were announced more than midway through this season, and put out another statement from Charles Green last night questioning the need or desire for a 12-12-18 set-up.

“In terms of a voting meeting, 21 days are required but the notice period can be reduced through mutual agreement,” said Longmuir.

“I’m not giving any view either way on whether it’s feasible for next season. I think it would be very tight but we’ll see what comes from [the SPL meeting] first of all and then we’ll take it from there.”

Longmuir also stressed that it won’t be a case of the SFL joining the SPL or vice versa and that the ruling body would be a separate entity. “My understanding is that it will be a merged body, a completely new body,” he said. “That would be my view on how a merger should operate. To take the game forward properly we need a freshness about the whole thing.”

Rangers, as a new club, are currently only associate members of the SFL and aren’t allowed to vote at meetings until they’ve belonged to the organisation for four years. However, it’s possible they may be granted full membership status, and voting rights, with the new league. “You’re way ahead of us on that one,” said Longmuir. “The rule book will need to be worked on but we haven’t started on that level of detail just yet.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/top-football-stories/sfl-face-pressure-as-spl-clubs-agree-league-changes-1-2763873

Does this 12-12-18 include that crazy split of 3 leagues of 8? I cant believe Doncaster gets away with this.

The numbers are wrong. 12-18-12 or 18-12-12 would be a bit more appealing from all clubs point of views but to keep the SPL as it is will be another nail in the coffin.

Does this 12-12-18 include that crazy split of 3 leagues of 8? I cant believe Doncaster gets away with this.

The numbers are wrong. 12-18-12 or 18-12-12 would be a bit more appealing from all clubs point of views but to keep the SPL as it is will be another nail in the coffin.

Yes I am afraid so. I could possibly stomach the 12-12-18 but it is that stupid split that busts my brains. I totally don't see the merit in it.

Yes I am afraid so. I could possibly stomach the 12-12-18 but it is that stupid split that busts my brains. I totally don't see the merit in it.

A tried and failed system from 2 Europeans leagues and these donkeys still want to go ahead. The SFL have to get their views across this week. Failing that then our club have to avoid any TV deal, nothing will go through without a TV deal that contains Rangers.

Edited by Gribz

I honestly can't see the current SFL 3 teams voting for the new structure. They would be joining a league of 18 where 8 of those teams are potentially stronger ( one division higher) making the likelihood of promotion very difficult for years to come.

Rangers have bitterly opposed a 12-12-18 set-up, arguing that it effectively makes their current Third Division campaign worthless.

But Doncaster said: â??I donâ??t understand that concern.

He doesn't understand that concern?

Seriously? He doesn't understand that a football club sets a budget and spends money based on what objectives it needs to achieve in an upcoming season?

He doesn't understand that to change those objectives once the money has been spent might be a concern?

That failure to understand raises only one question: Playing dumb, or actually dumb?

He doesn't understand that concern?

Seriously? He doesn't understand that a football club sets a budget and spends money based on what objectives it needs to achieve in an upcoming season?

He doesn't understand that to change those objectives once the money has been spent might be a concern?

That failure to understand raises only one question: Playing dumb, or actually dumb?

Definitely playing dumb. Doncaster and Regan have become experts at deflection, denial and deceit.