Steven Davis: â??Iâ??d like to come back and play for Rangers againâ??

Former Rangers captain Steven Davis says he would like to return to play for the club before the end of his career.

The Northern Irishman signed a three-year deal with Southampton this summer after the Premier League side agreed to pay a fee for the midfielder.

Now the 28-year-old has expressed his desire to play at Ibrox again before his career is over.

He told the Daily Record: "We were professional sportsmen and on the day it was announced Rangers were going into administration it was just a series of words to us until we absorbed the ramifications of what had taken place.

"I had just signed a new, five-year contract with the club and it had always been my intention to honour that agreement in full and devote the largest part of my career to the team I considered to be one of the biggest names in world football.

"I loved the club and the fans but I had to take a decision which was best for me, my family and the remainder of my career.

"There was so much uncertainty, so I was delighted Southampton made an offer that was acceptable and the club got money that they needed to keep going.

"It was the toughest decision of my life when I left for another club.

"I gave the team 100% every time I went out on to the park for Rangers.

"If everything goes to the plan I have in my head I'd like to come back and play for the club again before my career ends.

"I know there are different opinions about the players who left after administration but I still follow Rangers and they continue to mean a lot to me."

Personally I would like to see him back.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/213666-steven-davis-id-like-to-come-back-and-play-for-rangers-again/

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

I don't blame any player for being uncertain of what was going to happen this time last year. They have families to feed and mortgages to pay like all the rest of us so they were entitled to protect their careers.

However, while some choose to move on as soon as they could, others either stayed long enough to ensure we received a fee (e.g. Edu) or stayed for the fight (e.g. Jig). Ergo, it's difficult to think those that did leave so quickly such as Davis and Naismith will ever be welcomed back. But, as usual, some football fans have short memories and we'll never know until it ever happens (which I doubt it will).

This was not the case for Davis though

Green threatened all the walk aways with this action.

If Davis thought so much of us he would've transferred over and been transferred, probably for less than Southampton eventually payed.

None of them will ever be welcomed back by me, the bridge is most definitely burnt for me.

Lets not forget that each player agreed up to 75% wage cuts for a significant period of time prior to them transferring (or not) to the new company. That sacrifice, along with the fact that Davis seems to have been instrumental in ensuring the club got a fee, suggests to me that he perhaps deserves to be cut a bit of slack.