Kyle Hutton on twitter

This is the 2nd Tweet from Hutton that I can barely make sense of, the last being to Kyle about teeth. If he finishes training so early a trip to the library to read a few books would make more sense than feet up watching some dvd.

Disgraceful that they are away by lunch time. That means they finished up around 12pm by the time they get showered etc after training, and maybe even have lunch put on for them at Murray park.

Its not so much the football on display that would make my mind up about buying a season ticket or contributing to anothers next season again, its the mentality like this that would put me off.

Owen wanted pre-season to start two weeks earlier in McCoist's first season in charge.

That should have happened. A CL game at the end of July and we started training around the 5th of July If I remember correctly. That is where I started wondering about Ally. We also got gubbed by a German amateur team as a warning sign. All Dutch teams playing in early European games started training far earlier than we did.

The major disappointment in all of this is that I would have expected a young professional footballer to constantly want to improve himself. It shouldnt need to be driven by the manager.* If I recall correctly, Scholes, Giggs and Beckham were all inspired by Cantona's training regime. He would attend the normal morning session with the team and after the lunch, he would be back out again working on weaknesses in his game. They all took this on board and as mentioned, Beckham would constantly practice his dead ball technique. Hasn't done him any harm, has it Kyle!

* Having said that, if the players were not voluntarily putting in the extra work after a performance like Saturday's I would be kicking their arses up and down the training ground. There has to be consequences for poor performances, and if it means that training is extended beyond the normal 2 and a half hours and golf, monster munch and nandos is cancelled for a week, perhaps we would get some type of response.

In all honesty it is crazy to think anyone can train 8 hours a day. if you can do that then you are not training properly. Any training done should be with a ball at your feet or involving a football skill as shooting or passing. 1v1 1v3 2v5 and the likes should be a large part of training as that encourages movement and ball skills. Running laps of a football field is a no no unless it is just to warm up. If football training is intense then 2.5 hours a day is enough. Any afternoon training should just be tactical or set piece training. I actually agree with kyle in that rest is also a large part of sporting training.

I'm not overly surprised at this.

When I played for Dundee Utd, the first team players would usually roll up about 9.30am for a 10am start then leave after being provided with lunch in the canteen around 12.30pm. The younger players would be in earlier and have to do their chores (usually involving cleaning) in the afternoon.

In pre-season, it was slightly different in all players would often do the hard fitness work in the morning before working with the ball in an afternoon session, Generally though it was up to the individual what they did in the afternoon - many did work out in the gym but most buggered off to the bookies or played snooker in the corporate suites.

Even then the management felt any more than 2 hours a day would cause injury problems and/or players would become jaded so all this was seen (and still is seen) as normal.

The manager at the time? Jim McLean - so hardly someone who'd allow players to take the p!ss.

I dont think anyone would have them training for 8 hours a day - fitness wise anyway, I agree thats impossible. But Id certainly expect ball work, classroom tactics, team bonding (whether that means go-karting or archery it doesnt matter), watching videos of previous games to improve / learn from mistakes. But to get away and watch DVDs after possibly the worst result in the clubs history while fans have paid top dollar all season takes the michael IMO.