Loyalty Needs to Work Both Ways

Whatever happens in the summer regards the Rangers Manager position CG cannot afford to get it wrong. If he sticks with Ally (which I doubt) then he'd need to allow him to bring in new faces and there would need to be immediate & substantial improvement on the park. I'm not sure Ally could guarantee that which is why I suspect he'll go.

Any replacement for Ally must have a proven track record in management and be capable of turning things around in as a short timescale as possible

" now unless you have a personal agenda against McCoist "

Where do you get the impression that I would have that? I watched and enjoyed Ally's entire career, I reckon I saw about 90% of his Rangers goals live because I was an every week home and away man in those days. He was and remains a huge hero. The problem is he hasn't shown a single sign of having any football management skill whatsoever, not a single one. The football is absolutely dire and his players are evidently not trying for him. Anybody else would have been sacked long ago. Do we give him another year out of blind loyalty and hope or do we do the hard, but correct thing? Success in any business is often about making the hard but correct decision. I'm afraid blind loyalty will, in this case, take us to a bad place. I don't think it's by any means certain he won't be sacked at the end of the season incidentally. Another few performances like the last few weeks will push the support over the edge in my opnion.

Oh and by the way, dont try to tell me to not turn up to games if I can't get behind the manager. Who on earth do you think you are? I support Rangers and I expect certain standards of professionalism and commitment from my team. They have fallen far below those standards this year and whether you like it or not the manager is culpable for that. I'll be in my season ticket seat long after Ally's reign as manager is over. I will reserve my right to complain if the product on the pitch continues to be pish thanks very much.

Was not directed at you personally in (bold) and if you have read my posts i have no blind loyalty to Ally. I support Rangers and if that means supporting us when were playing pish it wont be the first and it wont be the last , under Walter the football was dire granted Walter was sucessfull, Ally's on brink of winning the league which was the objective at start of season , and if he get's it right next season he will become good manager if he fails he will be out the door, he has my support to see what the plans are for next season and the product he plays on the park.

If anything I feel some put Ally McCoist before Rangers.

Do 'some' put Charles Green before Rangers or are they just defending him against those who (in their opinion) oppose him without good reason?

I don't defend Charles on sentiment though, plenty give sentimental reasons for keeping Ally in the job.

I think you myst be getting those views from elsewhere, because the pro-Ally opinion on this forum at least doesn't appear to be based on sentiment.

Given that our squad was decimated last summer, a transfer embargo imposed, other players leaving on loan in the last couple of weeks of the window, it is a wonder we have a squad at all. Yes he has had to gamble on certain trialists like Faure, Cribari and Argy who are nowhere near the quality we would like to see. He has brought in players of SPL quality who have failed to sparkle in Black, Shiels, Templeton, Kyle, Sandaza. His reliance in our youth players has also been a mixed bag with some looking short of the required standard like Perry, Hegarty.

The first bit I take your point, the club was battered and didnt know where we were playing and didnt have a squad. A slow start was expected. But once we got the squad together there is enough talent in their to avoid performances like Annan where were not a one off by a long stretch. Considering our players are supposed to be full time and working on the training pitch every day together and our opponents probably only meet up one evening in the week to train the gulf in ability hasnt shown.

You also have to ask what the expectations were at the beginning of the season, and were they realistic and achieved. Most people would say wwe should have won the league by 30 points at least, and that looks likely to be around the eventual tally. The Ramsdens cup was the one we should have won and lost on penalties to QotS after conceding a last-minute equaliser when it looked likely we were going through. That can happen in cup football as we all know too well.

Most on here have said one expectation is to start a new football philosophy as we have a terrific chance of laying foundations for the next few generations. This has been a massive missed opportunity. Throwing the cheque book (when its allowed to come out) at the problems on the pitch papers over the cracks. There has been no plan put in place for when we get back to the top. All I can see is we are going to have players who are equivalent to the majority of SPL sides meaning we wont be any better than them. The eventual signings of decent standard will be the difference between 2nd place and 3rd place.

I wasnt bothered about any cups this season, my expectations was to concentrate at going up the leagues but playing in a nice way. Any cup run was a bonus.

Another factor I believe is one that needs to be added in is the motivation factor. That is of course part of the manager's job, but it must be awfully difficult to get yourself up for a game against fellow Div 3 opponents week in week out. I asked the boys on the bus on Saturday if they could honestly say they woke up any saturday this season and were really buzzing for the game that day? Nope, and in many cases they couldnt tell you who we were playing, only that it was a home match for example. The guys go every single week and support the club as much as they can, but lets be honest we are not motivated the way we usually are. The same must be true for the players to a degree.

If anything the players, especially the SPL guys, should have more motivation than ever. It would be the managements job to install this and not let them forget the situation the club is in. If they want to play for a Rangers jersey in 2-3 years time when we are on the way back then they should show the motivation when it counts i.e now. If they are still earning SPL standard money and living the lifestyle then how they cant be motivated is beyond me.

TBH from the fans point of view, how many was motivated for a match against Kilmarnock or St Mirren when we were in the SPL?

Only after McCoist has had some time for stability, which given our next transfer window is not freely open to us until January 2014, and our next proper summer trading not available until June 2014, can we properly assess whether he can build, mould and prepare a squad of players he can call his own and we can call a proper team of Rangers footballers. In my book that means giving him the 2014-15 season at least before he can be properly assessed.

I said this last season and at the start of this season. But it looks like he cant even get basics correct. If we were seeing things on the park which could click eventually (like what Liverpool fans are seeing this season) then yes you would be right here. But go back 18 months and with a strong squad which had won the league he was getting knocked out by 2 european sides I can barely remember (Maribor was it?). If Ally is to stay on I just hope he strengthens up his management team with some experience, that could be the key to him making himself a success.

I often wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson would have been given the same time at Man United if he had joined them in the internet era. Dont forget he got fully 4 years of winning nothing before he managed to win an FA Cup and 6.5 years before he won a league title. It takes time to rebuild a squad, and if you have got the right guy in charge you must afford him the proper time and facilities to let him get on with it. I believe we should let him get on with it and be patient along the way

I see your point RE Ferguson, but everyone inside Old Trafford like Bobby Charlton has always said they saw the long term plan being put in place. Also Ferguson had done amazing things with Aberdeen so probably deserved more of a chance.

" now unless you have a personal agenda against McCoist "

Was not directed at you personally in (bold) and if you have read my posts i have no blind loyalty to Ally. I support Rangers and if that means supporting us when were playing pish it wont be the first and it wont be the last , under Walter the football was dire granted Walter was sucessfull, Ally's on brink of winning the league which was the objective at start of season , and if he get's it right next season he will become good manager if he fails he will be out the door, he has my support to see what the plans are for next season and the product he plays on the park.

What is getting it right and failure though? Because if its another season like this one no matter if we win whatever league we find ourselves in then for me that's a failure, because he won't have moved the team forward in fact it could be argued he will have moved them backwards.

We will then find ourselves one step closer to the top league with a team that hasn't a hope in Hell of competing in that league, and if your going to tell me we will buy better players when we get there, we might as well just shut the doors and turn off the lights because we will have learned nothing from the shambles we found ourselves in last summer because of that same approach.

Don't build for the future just spend more money than the next guy, the Rangers way.

What is getting it right and failure though? Because if its another season like this one no matter if we win whatever league we find ourselves in then for me that's a failure, because he won't have moved the team forward in fact it could be argued he will have moved them backwards.

We will then find ourselves one step closer to the top league with a team that hasn't a hope in Hell of competing in that league, and if your going to tell me we will buy better players when we get there, we might as well just shut the doors and turn off the lights because we will have learned nothing from the shambles we found ourselves in last summer because of that same approach.

I am looking for a product of football on the park that excites me the last time i seen good football was under Souness, Smith 9 in a row and Advocaat, if i see at start of season we are playing a passing game with width attacking football i will see Ally has changed his philosophy. If we play route one football which is dire with one aim to get 3 points a lot of people will not be happy and Ally's position will become teneble because seats will be empty at ibrox and CG will not like that if he see's he is losing money...

I don't see Ally getting much money tbh i see players coming in who are out of contract so it's just wages we spending, he has this squad to september 1st , he will have players signed on pre-contracts in summer, he will have had a full pre-season to focus on season ahead, there will be no more excuses he has to deliver...