Loyalty Needs to Work Both Ways

What a fantastic and refreshing OP there, I enjoyed reading that and can almost entirely agree with it.

Given that our squad was decimated last summer, a transfer embargo imposed, other players leaving on loan in the last couple of weeks of the window, it is a wonder we have a squad at all. Yes he has had to gamble on certain trialists like Faure, Cribari and Argy who are nowhere near the quality we would like to see. He has brought in players of SPL quality who have failed to sparkle in Black, Shiels, Templeton, Kyle, Sandaza. His reliance in our youth players has also been a mixed bag with some looking short of the required standard like Perry, Hegarty.

However I was having a discussion on the bus on Saturday and going through the list of players who have missed at least a month with injury, and it is almost the entire squad with the exception of Alexander and Wallace. Given such a small squad to start with, that is quite a lot to deal with for any manager.

It is not blind loyalty I give to our manager, and I am obviously not blind to see our performances have mostly lacked the style and substance I would want to see, but in order to assess properly if he has done a good job or not you have to take account of all the facts.

You also have to ask what the expectations were at the beginning of the season, and were they realistic and achieved. Most people would say wwe should have won the league by 30 points at least, and that looks likely to be around the eventual tally. The Ramsdens cup was the one we should have won and lost on penalties to QotS after conceding a last-minute equaliser when it looked likely we were going through. That can happen in cup football as we all know too well.

Ambition for the League Cup or Scottish Cup would be folly, and although we did get our best performance and result of the season in beating table-topping Motherwell in September, both of these exits were to top-6 SPL sides whcih could have happened in any other season also.

Another factor I believe is one that needs to be added in is the motivation factor. That is of course part of the manager's job, but it must be awfully difficult to get yourself up for a game against fellow Div 3 opponents week in week out. I asked the boys on the bus on Saturday if they could honestly say they woke up any saturday this season and were really buzzing for the game that day? Nope, and in many cases they couldnt tell you who we were playing, only that it was a home match for example. The guys go every single week and support the club as much as they can, but lets be honest we are not motivated the way we usually are. The same must be true for the players to a degree.

Personally, I am not too bothered at the lack of a performance this season. The motive is to win the title and move upwards. Nothing else is all that important. Sadly, it is the same for the next two seasons also. Win the league and move up.

Only when we get to the top flight again do we have our motivation back, and boy will we be motivated then against the scum of the country who we wont have forgotten acted in unison against us when we needed their help and understanding that our club had been pillaged by a crook, attacked by the bank, and accused of illegality by HMRC, all of whcih was nothing to do with the management and playing side of our football club, but brought on by the economic crisis affecting Murray's portfolio of other businesses.

Only after McCoist has had some time for stability, which given our next transfer window is not freely open to us until January 2014, and our next proper summer trading not available until June 2014, can we properly assess whether he can build, mould and prepare a squad of players he can call his own and we can call a proper team of Rangers footballers. In my book that means giving him the 2014-15 season at least before he can be properly assessed.

I often wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson would have been given the same time at Man United if he had joined them in the internet era. Dont forget he got fully 4 years of winning nothing before he managed to win an FA Cup and 6.5 years before he won a league title. It takes time to rebuild a squad, and if you have got the right guy in charge you must afford him the proper time and facilities to let him get on with it. I believe we should let him get on with it and be patient along the way.

Personally, I am not too bothered at the lack of a performance this season. The motive is to win the title and move upwards. Nothing else is all that important. Sadly, it is the same for the next two seasons also. Win the league and move up.

What's the point in moving up the leagues and not learning anything? Our standard of play and organsistion are beyond a joke tbh and will only get found out even more in the leagues above us. It is not merely about winning leagues IMO. That's the just the same short sighted BS that has hampered our club for years now. Not only did we need to start again from square one in our league status but we should have started from fresh in our general long term thinking. Performance, progression and style should be be up there with winning

Guest Bluenose80
What a fantastic and refreshing OP there, I enjoyed reading that and can almost entirely agree with it.

Only when we get to the top flight again do we have our motivation

often wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson would have been given the same time at Man United if he had joined them in the internet era. Dont forget he got fully 4 years of winning nothing before he managed to win an FA Cup and 6.5 years before he won a league title. It takes time to rebuild a squad, and if you have got the right guy in charge you must afford him the proper time and facilities to let him get on with it. I believe we should let him get on with it and be patient along the way.

Win at all costs is the mentality of a glory hunter when winning is all that matters. A football fan mentality wants to see flowing attacking football from both teams the way it was meant to be played win or lose its the spectacle that counts. Playing for Rangers should be all the motivation required.

Alex Ferguson had a proven track record both domestically and in Europe before he went to Man U it is not a fair or accurate comparison to use for this situation. Ally does not have a good track record as a manager.

Apologies in advance as I'm usually more polite than I'm about to be but the first two posts on this thread are complete patronising pish!

I've been watching Rangers for nearly 40 years now and I've never seen a team so lacking in simple organisation, motivation and commitment. Any manager other than somebody with Ally's Rangers credentials would have been hunted from the club long ago. You can quote any number of mitigating factors you want but ask yourself this simple question: "is there a single other player in any of the other division 3 sides which you would take into our team?" I cant think of any myself and I've watched just about every minute of every game this season. Against such dross should we not expect our team to not only be of higher ability but also a little better organised, better set-up tactically and at least similarly committed? If Ally can't get that from the squad of players he has at his disposal then he has to go, legend or not. The longer the process of him moving on takes the worse the situation will become.

Edited by Gingerger