No go for reconstruction

i think the dutch have a first division of 18 so why dont we have something the same, say 20 and a second division that will give you 38 games playing each other home and away , no silly splits just 2 up and 2 down with every club having 1 vote and a simple majority for any rule changes one team one vote

i think the dutch have a first division of 18 so why dont we have something the same, say 20 and a second division that will give you 38 games playing each other home and away , no silly splits just 2 up and 2 down with every club having 1 vote and a simple majority for any rule changes one team one vote

I would add to the 2up/down - have at least a 3rd place (maybe fourth as well) as a playoff spot.

I'm guessing the SPL/SFA have never heard of the KISS principle....

Ideally that would be the way we go.

But... the league will be under pressure from TV companies to provide 4 "Old Firm" (I've grown to hate that term) matches a year - obviously Scottish football will get more money off them if we provide matches with better viewing figures.

I know it seems like a step backwards, but I believe the best solution (of a bad lot) is to follow the Swiss and Austrian model. That's the top two tiers, each of 10, with the cash spread more evenly over them. If relegation didn't mean a massive drop in income, teams wouldn't fear it and wouldn't resort to negative tactics to avoid it. You could have 2 relegation spots plus maybe even a play-off spot - meaning less meaningless mid-table matches.

In fact, all that really needs to be done to shore up the current league set-up is for the SPL to spread some of its prize money across Div 1.

Unfair to blame St. Mirren. Their chairmans statement was much better than Dundee's. Explained they consulted their fans and what their concerns were.

Dundee just mumbled on about compromise without explaining what they were. Managed to say nothing while talking a lot.

It may have been mentioned, but the Dutch also have Champions League / Europa League play offs which could help with the 'excitement' factor.

So, for example, if Scotland got 1 Champions League and 3 Europa League spots, the CL spot goes to the Champions, 1 EL goes to the Cup winners, 1 to second place, and the third goes to the winners of a play off between 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th - or the top 4 teams in the league who've not qualified if the cup winners are in those positions.

It'd keep a lot of teams interested and create some excitement at the end of the season.

It may have been mentioned, but the Dutch also have Champions League / Europa League play offs which could help with the 'excitement' factor.

So, for example, if Scotland got 1 Champions League and 3 Europa League spots, the CL spot goes to the Champions, 1 EL goes to the Cup winners, 1 to second place, and the third goes to the winners of a play off between 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th - or the top 4 teams in the league who've not qualified if the cup winners are in those positions.

It'd keep a lot of teams interested and create some excitement at the end of the season.

That's a good shout for keeping the top of the table interesting. :thup:

See who hard can it be to come up with something better than we are getting, there's a few far more realistic ideas in a few posts.

Restructure the money this season bring in the league restructure the season after next job done.

One thing is clear is how the mHedia have attacked Longmuir and now Gilmour is their target for the same attack.

Lazy, lazy journalism. Saves getting off your ass and doing any investigative work. Whatever happened to talking to some of the 87% of fans who want bigger leagues?

The lack of objectivity and balance in Scottish journalism is appalling. I don't buy newspapers and until more people stop buying them nothing will improve.

Edited by Blue Moon

One thing is clear is how the mHedia have attacked Longmuir and now Gilmour is their target for the same attack.

Green, Longmuir & now Gilmour the 3 guys who have put their heads above the parapet and questioned the ideas, we live in a strange wee country.