Show Racism the Red Card condemns Charles Green for racist language

Charles Green has been criticised for using "racist and offensive language" by a leading anti-racism charity.

Show Racism the Red Card has spoken out against the Rangers chief executive, who made two references in a newspaper interview at the weekend.

Green described his relationship with Rangers director Imran Ahmad in the article, in which he stated he referred to him openly as his "Paki friend".

The Yorkshire-born businessman also made reference to a former team-mate, who he said was known as "Darkie" Johnson.

Show Racism the Red Cardâ??s chief executive Ged Grebby said in a statement: "The comments of Charles Green are very ill-advised and someone in his public position should really know better than to use this kind of racist and offensive language.

"The use of the term 'Paki' is highly offensive and it is something that we at Show Racism the Red Card are trying to educate young people against.

"For the CEO of Rangers to use the term in any context is not helpful as it sends out the wrong message to young people.

"Show Racism the Red Card has a long standing working relationship with Rangers FC. The club is an excellent supporter of our anti-racism and anti-sectarianism campaigns."

Green said in the Sun on Sunday: â??When I played at Worksop Town, the other striker was â??Darkieâ?? Johnson. Now if I say that today I could go to jail.

â??You know, Imran will come into the office regularly and Iâ??ll say â??Howâ??s my Paki friend?â??"

http://m.stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/rangers/220580-show-racism-the-red-card-criticise-charles-green-for-racist-language/

storm in a teacup

Yeah, they shoot at him from all angles. Wonder why e.g. no-one ever mentioned those strange dealings Desmond did in Ireland ...

As for the remarks, if he speaks to these people directly like he does here, nicknames and whatnot, the reaction is way over the top. "Taken out of context" springs to mind. He was not at some sort of propaganda excercise or the like.

The double standards applied in this country are indeed mind-boggling ...

With Green as our CEO they'll be working double shifts and overtime.

He's no racist if he was he wouldn't employ half the folk he does, was his remark stupid yes. But he was simply trying to put his point across using language he knows, a point that has been lost in all this he as talking about John Daly and he couldn't understand why people would be upset if we signed him and it makes no difference what colour or creed you are he will sign you. Maybe Show Racism the Red Card should be asking those folk about racism.

Does that sound like a a racist to you.?

My auld Gran God rest her would come out with some hair raising un-PC stuff but she would've gave any of those people her last penny if they needed it, and she was no racist.

Edited by GovanAllan