Financial blow for Scottish football's restructure plan

It looks more and more like they have something to hide!! What gets me is how Division 1 clubs can be so gullible without seeing what the financial benefits are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22088117

Financial blow for Scottish football's restructure plan

By Jim Spence

BBC Scotland Proposed changes to Scottish football have suffered a setback after it emerged that information required for clubs to vote on the matter has not been provided.

Clubs in the Scottish Premier League and the Scottish Football League are being asked to consider new leagues of 12, 12 and 18 from the present four.

But it is understood that the SFL has still not allowed access to documents.

SFL clubs are due to vote on the proposal next Friday.

Following a meeting between Scottish football's three governing bodies, the SFL had requested assistance from the Scottish Football Association in providing financial due diligence.

That is seen as vital to help clubs decide how to vote on the proposed new set-up, which would result in a merger between the two league bodies.

However, it is believed that, despite requests from the SFA, the SFL has still not allowed access to its financial details.

That information was originally expected last Wednesday.

The SFL vote would be scrapped should the SPL clubs fail to achieve the required 11-1 majority in their own ballot on Monday.

Motherwell have become the latest SPL club to say they will vote in favour of the new league structure.

However, St Mirren have already come out strongly against the proposal and Ross County chairman Roy McGregor has voiced his own doubts.

McGregor has, though, stressed that he sees some merit in the proposals and that it will be a decision for the Dingwall club's whole board at its meeting on Friday.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson believes that there is still time to change the mind of clubs who might be against the proposal.

"It is not dead at all and I'm quite excited that we might be able to do something to change the game in Scotland," he told BBC Scotland.

"I am quite hopeful there's going to be a lot of pressure put on lots of people this week.

"If people think there's another option on the table, there's no other option on the table.

"It's this or nothing else and I think it could be many years before we get back to the table and get as many clubs in agreement about taking the game forward."

Thompson insisted that his club was not voting out of self interest as there were aspects of the proposal with which United are not totally happy.

"It's not perfect, but there's enough in it for my club to vote for it," he said.

"There's a huge amount at stake here. I am trying to take my club hat off and think of Scottish football.

"If it was purely about my own club, I wouldn't vote for this because in some respects it gives you a great chance of being relegated."

Thompson believes that First Division clubs, presently struggling to maintain full-time playing squads, would benefit most from the proposed redistribution of income.

It is believed that all but one Division One club are in favour of the proposal.

The bit that's most disconcerting is Stephen Thompson's comments:

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson believes that there is still time to change the mind of clubs who might be against the proposal.

"It is not dead at all and I'm quite excited that we might be able to do something to change the game in Scotland," he told BBC Scotland. "I am quite hopeful there's going to be a lot of pressure put on lots of people this week."

So an SPL chairman can openly admit that undue pressure is going to be put on clubs/individuals to make decisions which are not necessarily in their own interest, and the newspapers ignore this!!

So an SPL chairman can openly admit that undue pressure is going to be put on clubs/individuals to make decisions which are not necessarily in their own interest, and the newspapers ignore this!!

I think there's bound to be a growing number of people in the Scottish media saying they expect severe pressure to applied to St.Mirren & Ross County. In fact, it sounds as though SPL chairmen have been telling folk at the BBC that the thumbscrews will be coming out if necessary.

Seriously Jum, seriously!

It's only six weeks past since you appeared on BBC Radio Scotland telling the listenership that the 17 pages that constituted the 12-12-18 proposals were a major improvement for the Scottish game. You told us that the contents of the pages had genuinely enthused you and inspired confidence. Rheinhart Gordon enquired if the supporters would buy into it too? Well Jum, you got quite garrulous, telling Radio Scotchland that you had already tested that very water. You had given the 17 pages to your junior playing son and allowed him two days to read and digest. Again, he was truly enthusiastic, loved the idea of the middle eight, "aye Richard, really excited, my son thought there were lots in it for the fans".

Within several minutes, it became embarrassing as the Chairmen of Elgin City, Cowdenbeath, Annan Athletic, ........... etc came on complaining they had NOT seen the proposals and wondered how Jum and son had been so privileged? Thus, if information is NOT being provided, I suggest that Jum should furnish the various representitives of clubs in the dark with his son's mobile number.

Desperado.

Hope St Mirren and Ross County stand firm and vote how they see it and how they are entitled to and ingore the bullying. They would be made very welcome in a restructured SFL.

Scottish football is quite literally jaywalking in front of a bus.

Truly eye watering how these past couple of years have turned out.

The laughable thing is when Scottish football as we know it folds, the media will also end up in front of the bus.

That these eejits can't see what they're doing to their own futures beggars belief.

Scottish football is quite literally jaywalking in front of a bus.

Truly eye watering how these past couple of years have turned out.

The laughable thing is when Scottish football as we know it folds, the media will also end up in front of the bus.

That these eejits can't see what they're doing to their own futures beggars belief.

Makes you wonder who wins it that scenario?

Only one club that I can see.