Walter is now the club Chairman

FORMER RANGERS chairman Alastair Johnston has urged Walter Smith to take a grip on the Ibrox boardroom as tight as he did with any of his teams.

Johnston jetted into Glasgow yesterday on golfing business

A True Blue indeed.

Haha had to pick on this

Aside from the obvious lack of qualifications for the role, there's a couple of other key factors here.

Walter is all about spending big. He twice was manager in eras where we drastically overspent. (possibly not the first era so much, it was when DA came in that things really went to pot) Post Kaunas he spent large and we went into financial disaster again.

Not so long ago he was commenting that we needed to be spending more.

Aside from his reliance on spending, there's the small problem of his archaic, negative approach to football that any sensible fan is sick of seeing. With Walter at the helm I don't see any change coming. Was Walter not the manager when we needed the Bank to take control of the club. And now he is the chairman? I don't think anyone in our bygone era of insane, frivolous overspending should be involved in the running of the club. We should be focusing on a future of sensible spending with a focus on youth development, cheap overseas talent that can be sold on for a profit + good attacking, short passing football.

With walter as chairman and Ally as boss I can see us overspending on ancient mediocre players with little focus on youth and expansive football. ho hum.

Cant say I agree on the footballing side of things. Walter wont be involved in the selection of players and tactics, that is McCoist's job and I highly duobt Walter will get involved. I also doubt that McCoist will want him meddling anyway.

Regarding his oversending as manager, you do realise, right, that being manager is a very different role from being chairman ? As manager he would tell his board who he wanted to sign, his job wasnt one to manage the finances, that was to the custodians (Board) of the club. Walter is now one of those custodians and will be acutely aware that the financial security of the club is paramount.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing too. Walter, along with ALL of us, are very aware of what happened to us financially and he wont want to be the chairman that has to ut us into administration a secondd time - so I would think that he is keenly monitoring the financial status of the club.

Regarding "little focus on youth and expansive football" - I will concede this point to you - this IS a part of the chairman's role as it involves strategy, particularly the way in which we produce players. Again, we can but hope that we recognise there needs to be more reliance on the youth development rather than big spending.

Louis Van Gaal: Walter Smith can sort Rangers and Mark Wotte's the man for Scotland

4 Jun 2013 07:42

THE great Dutch coach has praised the new Rangers chairman and Scotland's Dutch youth supremo.

LOUIS VAN GAAL once branded Walter Smith’s Rangers side as boring and bad for football.

The Dutch legend and former boss of Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich was anything but flattering when offering an opinion of the Ibrox side’s run to the UEFA Cup Final against Zenit St Petersburg five years ago.

He said: “I respect Walter Smith as a coach. The trainer has to create a tactic to win, that’s all.

“Because of that, he has created defensive tactics which I don’t like, but which I respect.”

It is, however, that dogmatic approach which the Holland head coach believes makes his old adversary perfect for the boardroom as Smith attempts to bring stability to the club in his new role as chairman.

Van Gaal said: “I know Walter and he is someone who commands massive respect within football. He has a huge range of experiences but most importantly he’s a good man.

“That quality comes before anything else and it’s why Rangers have made the correct decision to have him in the role as chairman.

“He is a man of integrity and honesty – he will know better than anyone the job he has taken on.

“Challenges as a coach and challenges as a chairman may not be the same but they both require the qualities Walter has.

“I look at Scottish football and it’s been an incredible situation which has unfolded at Rangers.

“Like many clubs, they have made mistakes but they have been punished and Scottish football needs a strong Rangers to get back on the road to health. They are a huge club within Scotland and in Europe and Walter is the perfect choice to protect their future.”

Van Gaal insists it will require the same unbending mental steel which Smith displayed as a manager to make Rangers great again.

He said: “They require a strong man who has courage in his beliefs and knowledge of what needs to be done to improve the club.

“The stature of Rangers in European football hasn’t been lost, there are temporary problems and hopefully they can be overcome.

“Many clubs go through difficulties and have a period where what happens in the boardroom and off the field is more important than the football.

“That appears to be the case in Glasgow for Rangers but when you have strength and respect within the boardroom you can start to build again.

“Walter is a man who carries a good reputation which he has earned during his time as a coach and it’s that trust which is so important.”

Van Gaal also believes the whole of Scottish football should be wishing Rangers well in their attempt to climb back to the top as the Light Blues are critically linked to the good health of our game.

He said: “It’s very important for everyone who cares about football that a team like Rangers comes back strong.

“The Scottish public should care about a club like this getting back into the top league. It’s a club with a huge identity across the world and that is something which should make it vital Rangers are allowed to grow again.

“It’s sad to see any club going through these type of problems but Scottish football cannot be without a power such as Rangers as there is no way that can be a good thing for the health of the game there.

“It’s no good for the fans, the club or the reputation of the game in Scotland to not have the strongest club in a weak position and it’s sad to see what’s been going on.”

There was also a frank assessment on SFA Performance Director Mark Wotte from Van Gaal, who believes his former assistant with the Dutch national side is the man to put our game on the road to recovery.

Wotte became a trusted lieutenant under the Dutch master during his first spell in charge of Holland at the turn of the century and Van Gaal insists the seeds of youth development are in good hands.

He said: “I can’t judge the standard of young player in Scotland. That’s a question you will need to ask Mark Wotte.

“I don’t see what’s happening with Scotland’s development programme but I do know it is now in good hands.

“I believe he can bring so much to Scottish football. He was my assistant and I hope he learned a lot from me.

“He has been in football at a high level in many roles and has watched the best. He knows what level can be achieved by putting the proper structures in place.

“The development of talent requires bravery and conviction that the road taken is the right one.

“But it’s more important to show patience – the Scottish public may not be prepared to wait but again they must trust Mark.

“I know he is a clever man and has the qualities to implement a plan to bring through good young players. He also knows it will take time.

“Mark has a positive belief in what can be done in football. I’m sure he’ll make a positive impact on the development of youth but it’ll take time.

“Good things rarely arrive immediately but Mark knows this from his time in Holland.

“He is working now for Scotland’s benefit and they will gain the reward, I’m sure Mark can bring a lot to football in the country.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/louis-van-gaal-believes-walter-1930259

I know it's the Sun.

RANGERS chairman Walter Smith has been given an extra 48 hours to sack sidelined Malcolm Murray.

Shareholder Blue Pitch Holdings is demanding Murray’s complete removal from the Ibrox board a week after he was ousted from the role.

The group, part of ex-chief executive Charles Green’s takeover consortium, also wants two new directors appointed — bus tycoon James Easdale and investor Chris Morgan. The deadline for meeting the demands was today, but sources say the cut-off has now been extended until Friday. If they are not met, an emergency EGM shareholders’ summit will go ahead.

Insiders say Easdale and Morgan have enough support to push through their own appointment if that happens.

Last night a City of London source said: “James and Chris both feel new chairman Walter Smith is doing, and will continue to do, an excellent job of getting the board in order.” Sources reckon the summit would cost £50,000 — and mean weeks of uncertainty around control of Ibrox.

Mark Dingwall, of the Rangers Supporters Trust, said: “It would be unhelpful during a pivotal time when people are renewing season tickets.” The club declined to comment.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...ers-board.html

Honestly? Another shyte-stirring attempt from the media. Obviously there are differences up there, but I doubt that they are anywhere as dire as they are represented by the article above. The media will milk it to the very last drop, rest assured.

What irks me more is the "apparent" silence by the previously rather vociferous King. Maybe I am wrong, but he turns up every now and then, fires some broadsides and vanishes back behind some fog clouds, lingering. We have been told that his accounts have been unfrozen, that he's willing to invest and whatnot. Maybe he should finally put his money where his mouth is ... or at least intimate that he's going to do it.