Jobs For The Boys?

He has experience as assistant Manager at East Fife, then caretaker manager and then given the job full time.

Shows progression and happy employers. It's not as if he's going to be manager, assistant manager or even head coach at Rangers - it's kind of a step down in role but a step up in club status.

Worth noting he actually started his playing career at Methil.

Other credentials are a successful playing career for Hibernian, Chelsea, Tottenham, Rangers and Hearts, with 43 caps for Scotland and playing in the World Cup and European Championships. I think he won six SPL championships with Rangers.

Maybe that's not enough for some...

Yes, maybe not. My first impression is that he hasn't got much coaching experience but is this more or less than the typical holder of such a position?

A few of the 'jobs for the boys' comments aimed at Ally have been based on the East Kilbride connection with Jim Sinclair and Jim Hendry. However Jim Sinclair has been there since 2006 and at the time, regardless of what you think of him now, he was highly sought after and highly regarded. He was a name that everyone knew of that generation growing up in EK beacuse of his football skills (one of these enigmas that never really made it in the senior game despite his oustanding ability). It was no surprise to anyone he ended up coaching younger players. Ally will trust 'Siggy' from his years in EK and obviously rates him very highly too.

Jim Hendry is another one that Ally rates very much (again knowing him from EK) and probably has wished for some time that he could get him on board knowing he was top notch and a bluenose to boot, but Martin O'Neill stood in his way as he got there first. I can tell you that Larrsson often sought private training sessions with him he rated him so highly. Jim was notorious in EK for someone who took no prisoners in life e.g. when he was a bouncer. Fortunately he matured and channelled it properly. His profession became life consuming for him which is why I reckon he is one of the best in the business and I think he may yet prove to be our best signing of the summer. There will be no prima donnas in our side slacking at training. We've been crying out for that and we've got it.

Point I'm making is that, yes, it helps that they came from EK, but purely because Ally knew of them and trusts them accordingly. If they weren't there based on their ability they wouldn't be anywhere near the place. And I'm not Ally's biggest fan as a manager so I don't say it to stick up for him.

Edited by Anchorman

Ally was assistant manager, Neil Murray was a scout as was John Brown, youth team coaches have been ex-players quite frequently as well.

I meant specifically in terms of McCoist's appointments. McCoist didn't appoint either of those two, did he?

Regardless of who does what & who appointed them it is vital we see a drastic improvement on the park this season. Some of what we had to endure last season must not be repeated next season otherwise Ally will not last until the New Year.

In an ideal situation there would be no 'jobs for the boys' but in football a manager will always want his own backroom staff whom he can trust. However that is not to say the credentials of some of the recent backroom staff at Rangers haven't been questionable, particularly in the scouting roles.

When I first went into management my old man said, sourround yourself with good people. My industry is a million miles from football but I believe some principals are transferable. How Ally's people perform is down to his own management and desire to succeed.

Ajax and PSV are actually turning the boat round and only using ex-players on their coaching teams. Ajax started the ball rolling after Johan Cruiff said it should be the way forward.

Manager: Frank de Boer

Assistant manager: Dennis Bergkamp

Defensive trainer: Jaap Stam

Marketing director: Edwin van der Sar

Technical director: Marc Overmars

Most of their youth coaches are also ex-players.

PSV

Headcoach

Phillip Cocu

Assistant-coach

Chris van der Weerden

Ernest Faber

All ex-PSV players