Big Derek: A real coup

According to DJ If Ally McCoist can pull off the signing of Christophe Berra, it would be a real coup.

He is a Scotland cap who has played at a high level for Wolves in the Barclays Premier League for several seasons.

What is more, he knows the game in this country and knows all about Rangers from playing against them for a large chunk of his career with Hearts.

He is also just 27 and has many years left playing at a high level in front of him.

I wonder: Can he be the man to take us forward and beyond?

Still do not believe we should be paying out on wages what Berra will undoubtedly command. We are still in a part time league. I guess it depends what the clubs ambitions are. Last season it was to win a cup and win the league, as said by the manager and CEO in pre season, those ambitions reduced with every cup exit. I am not convinced we can afford the same mistake again.

There is just one team in Scotland that would be able to match the wages we could pay him. I for one would not be surprised that after Rogne leaving, TLB will jump in and snatch him up ... if only to rub it into our faces.

I for one am pretty calm about this all, be it Pandza, Berra or Mouhsni (sp?). We are covered to the hilt in that position, not by the best available, but enough people anyway. Enough for SPFL 3, probably not the cups. Furthermore, "our" transfer window will be open till January, as we can "sign" freebies all along.

Berra is a decent player for where we are but after 2-3 years would have little to no sell on value.

Would also like to see a cull of players who failed last season before adding even more to the wage bill. Cribari, Faure, Argy, all brought very little to the party and we could easily do without them. With Alexander Boca Dorin and Hemmings all away already, if these 3 left as well I would be more at ease.

Personally would also move on McCulloch and Black, who both should not be getting into our first 11 this season and are too expensive to be subs, but there is no way Ally is going to do this.