Malcolm Murray - Open letter

I think 49,000 empty seats would raise enough curiosity across the world's sports desks to ensure that we got our point across.

It would indeed, but as you know, that will NEVER happen while the doors are still open and the lights still on.

I think 49,000 empty seats would raise enough curiosity across the world's sports desks to ensure that we got our point across.

I didn't mean it wouldn't attract attention, just questioned how and by whom it would be taken advantage of, not to mention how it would be skewed in the media.

I got into football in the first place to experience what is happening on the park, feel the tension, disappointment, excitement, ecstasy etc etc. Watching Andy Murray over the last couple of weeks just reminded me further of what sport is meant to be about.

To suggest people give that up to make some sort of political point, well it's easier said than done.

What was the Dundee United boycott if it wasn't a political point?

(I agree with your assumption btw.)

Fair point but Tannadice was a bit of a one of situation at an away cup tie where our club themselves were encouraging it.

But talk of leaving our own home ground empty (however many times) while we're still in the lower leagues of Scottish football, that's a different kettle of fish.

What sort of things would a bent board hide from two stalwarts who just departed yesterday, would a bent board be able to hide things from such stalwarts with unsurpassed financial acumen and city experience.

Ally who (according to myth) single handedly saved the club from the abyss and his tight as a drum godfather/mentor don't know what is happening at the club (that is of course if there is anything going on at all) they have spent life times at as player managers and chairman, you may believe it I know many who don't.

I suspect a bent board COULD still hide that stuff..... however, Murray was renowned for Corporate Governance - if he had managed to get in place the checks and balances, segregation of duties, appropriate reporting lines then he could very well have largely mitigated against those risks. Whether he managed to get that done during his time as Chair is debatable as these things often dont happen overnight.

A bent board (or person on the board) will find ways and means to circumvent... just ask the Mirror pension fund holders about Robert Maxwell - or, more recently, the Enron employees. It isnt too difficult to hoodwink. I am not saying that we have a bent board though, am I ?

Dont really understand the latter part of your second sentence to be honest reaper.... I am not one who believes Ally single-handedly saved the club and I dont think Ally would consider himself that either - what he DID do was give the fans something to rally around (most of us would agree that his "We dont do walking away" statement was almost Churchillian - possibly a bit extreme but many of us bought into that - and at a time when fan groups were suggesting we starve the club of ST monies). He gave us something to rally behind.

If you are suggesting that Ally knows the intricacies of the business dealings of the club, what gives you that assurance ? Why would he be treated any differently to Walter Smith when he was manager ? Walter confirmed he wasnt involved in the regular Board meetings unless there were footballing discussions and, even then, he would only be in attendance at the relevant parts of the board meeting. So why would Ally be any different ?

The Chairman of a business doesnt get involved in the day to day so he may not know what is happening financially with the club - however, the Board should receive periodic updates on the financial status of the club - so he should at least be aware of what is going on, to an extent. If you have a devious management running the business it is VERY EASY to hide stuff from your Chair, particularly as the chairperson isnt involved daily. From a business perspective, the Board (and therefore Chair) are the strategic arm of the club, not the daily business - again, though, they should be given briefings as to what is taking place at the club from a high-level perspective. It is still easy to hide stuff from them though.

Likewise, the manager has a remit which is to deal with football matters - he has no entitlement to be told anything about the financial, or business, affairs of the club other than to know what impact it has on his running of the footballing side.

Craig is correct in saying that clever/devious colleagues can hide and disguise figures etc. However, while WS may have limited financial experience, he is certainly no fool. If he is uncomfortable with Stockbridge, our chairman, in his role, as the chief custodian of our club, is entitled to request some external source to verify what he and the rest of the board are being told. Now, I have no idea if WS has reservations over the quality of whatever Stockbridge is presenting to the board but Walter must be aware that amongst many supporters, the jungle drums are beating and the level of concern is growing. WS is in an unenviable position, as he has inherited a lousy situation but he is the one who needs to show leadership.

But talk of leaving our own home ground empty (however many times) while we're still in the lower leagues of Scottish football, that's a different kettle of fish.

Will never happen no matter how dark the darkness gets, we're far to apathetic a support to carry that through.