Malcolm Murray - Open letter

TBH I couldn't tell you what proportion of clubs pay out dividends, but it's an enviable position to be in. We didn't do it until this year.

The important point is that, since we are paying out, we need to make sure that it's at a low enough rate that it doesn't impact on our success. Will institutional investors who have no emotional attachment to the club see it that way?

Are we paying dividends? Have I missed something?

Yet the majority of SPL clubs seem to complain about their ownership as well, same in England.

Yeah, because it's a bad system. Club's should be owned by their fans, simple as that.

That's simply not true. Pretty much every club in Scotland with the possible exception of Celtic have owners who put in but get no return. In England it is pretty much the norm too, football clubs are not normal businesses. Oh, and Real Madrid, Barca and Man U have debt that would startle most companies.

That's why football is a busted flush and up to its eyes in debt from the EPL to La Liga kept afloat only by tv money, if Sky were to go tits up the shit would really hit and all those who you claim are putting money in but in reality are living on tv money and very well at that will land right in the shit.

That's why football is a busted flush and up to its eyes in debt from the EPL to La Liga kept afloat only by tv money, if Sky were to go tits up the shit would really hit and all those who you claim are putting money in but in reality are living on tv money and very well at that will land right in the shit.

Who I claim are putting money in? What does that mean?

It's a fact that almost every club in Scotland relies on or has recently benefited from the largesse of an owner or shareholders. Some of the smaller clubs are pretty well run but almost every club in the SPL and Div 1 fall into this category. Do you disagree?

Are we paying dividends? Have I missed something?

Well, I expect I'm using the wrong financial terminology and I apologise if I have. Extracted profit is what I'm clumsily trying to describe.

Who I claim are putting money in? What does that mean?

It's a fact that almost every club in Scotland relies on or has recently benefited from the largesse of an owner or shareholders. Some of the smaller clubs are pretty well run but almost every club in the SPL and Div 1 fall into this category. Do you disagree?

"have owners who put in but get no return" your words not mine and yes I do disagree, there was a stushie about the gravy train the other day, said it all.

My own main point to der Berliner, is that constantly poo-poo'ing the quality of the information being discussed on the boards because it's not substantiated comes across as particularly unhelpful and it's even less helpful to throw around scatter-gun nicknames for other posters discussing the matters, such as suggesting people are scaremongers, doomsayers and similar such jibes. It's not that any of this is hurtful or harmful, but neither is it helpful.

If something is unsubstantiated almost everyone knows it's unsubstantiated because more often than not it's blatantly obvious that a rumour or opinion/point of view is being discussed and not a solid fact or event. Keeping telling us that we're discussing half-truths and unsubstantiated facts when we already know that's what we're discussing is pretty tiresome commentary. This isn't solely a dig a der Berliner either because he's not the only one who does it.

There's a good quality of debate on Gersnet because the place has some standards, so please keep in mind (everyone!) that patronizing other forum members and making personal jibes at other posters (even indirectly) is not cool, not big and clever and not looked upon favourably here.

Honestly, while I see your point, the amount of scaremongering when it comes to our board, anything Green, Ahmad, Stockbridge, Blue Pitch, Easdale et al is quite staggering. Since much of it is based of hearsay and half-info (which is not necessarily wrong), one is bound to speak up against somesuch on occasion. I view that as being as much part of a debate as discussing the abilities or inabilities of players like Black or Hutton ... while we all know that every boarders' opinion on them is subjective.