Season Expectations

12 months ago was surreal. Rangers entered a new forced upon era of being the Country's giant playing in the bottom tier of a low standard domestic set up. Therefore being the giant we are, we were expected to cruise past all others in the league. The problem was no fewer than 16 FIRST TEAM PLAYERS had departed and only 6 players turned up for pre-season....that tells itself. The powers that be made things more than difficult for the team that has contributed so much to everything that creates their jobs....agenda against the SPL / SFA - see other threads.

Rangers legend Ally McCoist put together a squad of unknowns and had the league wrapped up by March with some 'dodgy' performances on the way.

Many a Bear saw last season as a glorious opportunity to lay down a new standard of football with the promising youth laying a foundation for the decades ahead. Unfortunately the product on the pitch didn't provide that but job number 1 (promotion) was complete.

Onto season number 2 in this historic era!

Ally has had a full pre-season and despite having his hands tied with a transfer embargo he has still managed to attract a number of SPL players to the team. We will have to juggle around a few made up rules in playing them until week 5 / 6 of the season but the squad on paper should be competitive in the SPL never mind Division 2 / Scottish League One as its been creatively called.

Rangers will enter 4 competitions - League One / Ramsdens Cup / League Cup / Scottish Cup.

Its an absolute no brainer, the league title is top priority and we must apply everything into gaining promotion to the 2nd tier. We want to do it in style but every Bear will agree we'll take it anyway it comes. We have no devine right to win the league yet when comparing our resources to the opposition we should have it wrapped up by March again. This season may prove slightly more tricky than last yet with a full squad having a full pre-season we are still well favourites.

We'd like to win this league nicer on the eye - that is one expectation for me. McCoist has a lot of fans to win over due to style of play and tactics. He seems to be going for the importance first - promotion - but the two aren't mutually exclusive, we can still win the league playing good football.

Cups - We kick off today in the Ramsdens Cup and I would expect us to win this tournament this season.

League Cup / Scottish Cup - Once again these are nothing more than bonus games for us. Every SPL club is dreaming of playing a wounded Rangers but as we are on the comeback Im happy to avoid all SPL sides and going out of these cups isn't a problem so long as we are top of the league.

We made some good friends last season in the lowest tier and Im sure the club is looking forward to doing the same again this season, although the trip to East End Park should prove interesting.

Overall Expectations:

League Title - Won by 15 points.

Ramsdens Cup - Won

League Cup - Depends on draw but no expectation.

Scottish Cup - As per League Cup.

Entertainment - Some much nicer football on show with players being played in proper positions.

passing football is the way forward but we will have to wait and see if allys learned any lessons from last season hoofing or blootering the ball is no good to man nor beast give me players who can play and pass to victory onward and upward for the new season .

go get them rangers .

Most bears seem to be of a similar opinion on this.

Win the league comfortably, win the ramsdens cup, no embarrassments in the 2 major cups, but more importantly to play good positive attacking football.

A stepping stone to next season when we can buy players, play them from the start of the season, and expectations will be higher.

Ally has this season to prove he is taking us forward in terms or results, performances, and preparations for our return to the top flight. I won't be judging this in the first month or two with the restrictions in place, but over the whole season.

Sadly, I don't think too many fellow bears will have the same patience if one or two results/performances are poor.

I dot pay any attention to friendlies, either results, formations or performances, so I am strangely looking forward to this afternoon at Livvy.

I have similar overall expectations to the O.P. Winning our division and the Ramsdens Cup is the minimum. That was what I wanted last year and we were knocked out by the eventual winners on penalty kicks. I'll be generous and say that counts as coming close. This season, with better preparation and personnel, we must win it.

Anything that happens in the other cup competitions is a bonus. Winning against Motherwell was one of the best moments of last season. The cup competitions can provide an opportunity to knock out some other teams that we are less fond of and I expect that we would enjoy that even more.

As for the quality of football I don't mind so much. Last season was difficult to watch at times but I want the manager to think about winning first.

Win the league comfortably, win the ramsdens cup, no embarrassments in the 2 major cups, but more importantly to play good positive attacking football.

Nutshell!!!

Although what is an embarrassment in the cups? personally I don't want to go Tannadice again nor near Pittodrie. Too much media blast would happen from that.

I suspect we all suffer from apprehension?

We expect and want the club to defeat all clubs from Divs' 1,2, and 3 home or away in all cup competitions. However, we know such progress inevitably leads to a SPL team, possibly away.