I had a very good meeting today with Arnold Black, who wrote the article that was published recently about a membership scheme. I proposed this some years ago at the Club’s AGM and it was also discussed but not pursued (because we were promoting the share scheme) when I was Secretary of RST.

Arnold is of the opinion that fans should put their support behind any current or new director who promotes a membership scheme.

In order to get a scheme off to the best possible start we are of the opinion that all season ticket holders (next season) should be automatically enrolled as club members.* This would guarantee more or less 35,000 club members with little or no effort on the part of the club. Arnold’s thought is that there should be no membership fee for those enrolling this way at least in the first season; my own feeling is that at least a nominal amount (to be deducted from season ticket monies) or an additional £10 fee (to be added to the season ticket price) should apply; otherwise everyone would have to be granted free membership. Whilst free membership is sometimes attractive (as with the FC United of Manchester model) it artificially inflates the true membership numbers.

Realistically, however, going forward the fee would need to be at least £5 per month or say £50 - £60 pa.

We take the view that an initial worldwide target of 100,000 members and £1,000,000 - £5,000,000 a year is not unreasonable. This could be ring fenced for special projects within the club.

Possible benefits of membership might be:

• Discounts from Rangers’ sponsors and suppliers

• Offers from the Club e.g. discount on Rangers TV

• Membership Certificate, badge etc.

• Priority/Discounted Ticket purchase (Note that in some countries e.g. Boca Juniors in Argentina, only members can buy tickets or certain categories of tickets).

• Meet players and other exclusive events

• Monthly prize draw

• Discounts in restaurants etc.

• *In future you might have to be a member to buy a season ticket.

The proposal would be that the members would elect a Supporters Board (as in the Hamburg model) and that that Board would elect one or two members to the Club Board.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Inserted "Realistically, however, going forward the fee would need to be at least £5 per month or say £50 - £60 pa."

Yes, I think that kind of model should be explored and I believe the club - before all the latest political nonsense - were looking into it.

Hopefully there are some talented fans out there that can put together a viable scheme which takes into account all the historic issues with the current fan groups. All the better if the scheme can raise funds for the club each year as well.

Frankie, why do we need a scheme that takes into account historic issues?

Well, people have been critical of the Assembly and Trust for as long as I can remember so we need to examine any issues these groups have had and ensure they don't apply to any new scheme.

Firstly thanks for all the thanks.

Secondly, I agree with Sairdy, a new membership scheme, which would obviously require the support of the Club, need not and in my opinion should not pamper to any internecine rivalries of the past; instead a membership scheme would unite all fans (or at least all fans who would want to be members, which I would think would be the vast majority) under one banner.

That is not to say that the existing groupings would disappear, clearly there would still need to be a body such as the Association to represent Supporters Clubs, for example; and the Trust or some similar body to represent small shareholders. The need for an Assembly as well, might be less clear.

But as in the Hamburg model, the supporters could elect different Boards or Committees to liaise with the Club on different issues, e.g. away match ticketing, Travel Club (in due course!); instead of these being picked by the Club form a select group of individuals who may or may not be representative, as happens at the moment.

Ultimately, of course, if you look to Clubs like Barcelona, the fans might actually elect the football club President and there might be a separate Board for the company/plc and the football club, where supporters could and should be represented as per my OP.

These are just some thoughts to stimulate debate but if there is seen to be strong support here and on other forums then the club might be persuaded to follow through or develop any plans that they already have in development.

Cheers Frankie. If the new scheme was administered by the club then it cuts threw all that bullshit.

I'm half crippled so dont go to many games but i would love something like this.

Anybody think it could be 1st step towards a Barcelona style sohos (sp)

Ive read a few times that somehow we need to all get along, it's never gonna happen, support is to big. A scheme like this administered by the club could lead to great things.

Cheers Frankie. If the new scheme was administered by the club then it cuts threw all that bullshit.

I'm half crippled so dont go to many games but i would love something like this.

Anybody think it could be 1st step towards a Barcelona style sohos (sp)

Ive read a few times that somehow we need to all get along, it's never gonna happen, support is to big. A scheme like this administered by the club could lead to great things.

That's exactly the reasoning behind a socios-type scheme - to involve people like yourself that would like to feel closer to the club but are unable to attend matches for whatever reason - health, economic, geography etc.

When I talk about historic issues, I don't mean forum A not supporting fan-group B but more the logistical stuff - communication, elections, shareholdings, tickets and more.

As an overseas based bear, I am lucky to take in one live game per season, so support the club by buying all the merchandise for my son. However, I love the idea of a membership scheme whereby we could all contribute towards a better managed club and feel a greater sense of participation.

Funny though, on another Rangers forum, there was recent talk of returning season tickets to try to starve out the carpet baggers, yet here we are talking about ways in which to raise more money for the Rangers! Just goes to show, we cannot stand idly by and watch the club we love go to the dogs!